Wednesday, June 8, 2016

MINDING THE WHITE-OUT AND MY OWN BUSINESS

I'm minding my own business at my desk today, trying to put my extensive library away for the summer.  The students are working on review activities for a test they're taking tomorrow.  At this point, someone asks for White-Out.

For some strange reason, the students are not allowed to have liquid White-Out.  Okay, the reason is probably because some adult believes all children sniff liquid White-Out to get high.  That adult would be wrong.  That's what copy room workers do.  (No, they don't.  Relax.  Sniff some White-Out.)  Today, however, one of the students hands over a container of liquid to a kiddo nearby.

"What the ... Dude!  This is NOT White-Out."

The student who owns the liquid reminds me of Flower Children from the 60's.  You know the ones -- Hippies' children.  Kids who think coffee is mud and Oreos are dried poop because their parents are raising them eating grains from the fields alongside the family goats.  My student is a charming young man but laid back.  Very laid back.

"Yes, it is!"

The recipient holds up the squeeze bottle.  "It's PAINT."

"White-Out!"

"PAINT, Dude, PAINT, PAINT, PAINT!"  At this point, the student who tried to use the makeshift White-Out starts blowing on the wet blob and watches it drip across his paper. 

I head over, somewhat glad for the interruption to my book sorting, and I put my hand out for the bottle.  Sure enough, it's a container of craft paint, a puffy-style paint, to be exact.  My student's White-Out is actually clothing paint sold in fabric stores and craft stores.

"It IS paint," I announce. 

The first student starts to protest.  I toss it back to him and return to my original task.  It is here that I notice white paint all over my hands and some on my brown pants.  Pissah.  Now I have fabric paint on my fabric clothing. 

Aha!  I get it now.  This is the reason students are not allowed to have liquid White-Out -- They'll ruin their clothes.  Or my clothes, as the case may be.  That's what I get for not minding my own business.