Saturday, June 18, 2016

LIMERICKS FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Today we have a speaker come to school for professional development.  The topic is how to reinforce positive behavior, as if we are all undergrads and have never been in front of a middle school classroom before.  At one point, the speaker stays on the same slide for nearly twenty-five minutes.  I start to doze off, as do several people near me, and we synchronize our head-bobs.

 More than ninety minutes pass before we get to pretend we are doing busy work in groups, but, even then, the groups comprise the people around us, so still we are not allowed to get out of our seats.  If this woman is a professional presenter, and apparently she is because we imported her from somewhere in New York state, she really needs to work on her delivery.  Oh, and maybe she should update her information.  The stuff she is "teaching" us (that most of us already know) is copyrighted "1995."  That's almost half a decade prior to me getting my Master's degree in curriculum and instruction.  Hell, MY education is more updated than her presentation, and I've been teaching for a long, long time.

I completely tune out when she tells us that all the kids who cannot make it in a typical school setting will become citizens with NO VALUE to or in their community.  Um ... say, what?!  Way to disenfranchise voke kids, alternative education kids, and anyone who doesn't fit the limited "perfect mold" perpetuated by people who haven't set foot in a classroom for years ... or, possibly, NEVER set foot in a classroom.

So, rather than sleep through the professional development and risk the wrath of the administration, I decide to write limericks.  YOU'RE WELCOME, people; you're truly welcome.

There once was PD on a Friday
That put quite a damper on my day.
I tried to attend;
My brain would not bend,
Instead it took off down the highway.

One slide stayed up for an hour;
It made my poor brain go all sour.
I'm bobbing my head,
My lids feel like lead:
Under the table I'll cower.

Some of these rules sure are glaring!
"Behavior" is what we are wearing.
The kids in our school
Don't follow these rules,
So why is it I should stop swearing?!

I am incredibly sleepy.
I wish I were bright-eyed and peepy.
If this doesn't stop,
My eyelids will flop,
And I'll fall from my chair (which is creepy).

Oh, holy crap, I'm so tired!
I wish that I felt more inspired.
If only the time
Would suddenly chime
Before my short life has expired.