Sunday, June 19, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK: THANK YOU, FIREMEN!

I'm not going to lie.  Picking this week's wine is not going to be easy.  I find about a dozen I can easily nominate for the Sunday blog spot. 

First, let me say that I have been searching for a decent white for weeks.  Today, my expectations are about the same, meaning I expect that I won't find anything at all.  Instead, I find two whites, both Sauvignon Blancs, but, since I like them both equally, I cannot nominate either.  If you need a decent white, though, check out the Sauvignon Blancs from Jules Taylor and Fat Bastard.

I can't nominate the Pinot Noirs, either, because I like two this week, as well: One from Fat Bastard, which has a smooth finish, and one from Ritual that tastes surprisingly like Beaujolais.  Four other reds almost make the cut, as well: Fat Bastard's Syrah (very good), Chacras Malbec (which doesn't need to breathe as long as some other Malbecs), Beran Zinfandel (salivating for a burger or steak with this one), and Faust Cabernet Sauvignon (way outside my comfortable price range for a Cab Sauv but not outside a comfy price for wine at about $40 per bottle).

So, this week I will nominate a decent red wine with a story.  This week's wine choice is Hook & Ladder The Tillerman Red, a 2013 Californian blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Sangiovese, and Merlot grapes.  This wine has a multi-facet of flavors and a strong finish. 

That's not the story, though.

The story is the name of the wine.  Before the vineyard owners made their own wine, they sold their vineyard grapes to other wineries.  Before they owned the vineyard, owner Cecil DeLoach was a San Francisco firefighter, a tillerman on a hook and ladder truck.  The tillerman drives the rear part of the truck.  Hook & Ladder is their second foray into the wine business, and is named for Cecil's old job, including the tillerman handle. 

Best of all, Hook & Ladder The Tillerman Red retails around $15, so you won't need a firefighter to put out any smoke from your wallet.