Thursday, February 18, 2016

SHOCKING SHOPPING

Driving home I suddenly start craving bananas.  I cannot explain this, especially since the last dozen times I bought bananas, they end up rotted and in the trash, but I am really, truly trying to treat my body better, so I crave to the craving. I have a choice: Go to Stop and Shop and get bananas, or go to Whole Foods and get bananas.

Let me just say this -- Up until a few months ago, I was a loyal and staunch supporter of the DeMoulas/Market Basket chain.  I would drive to other towns, other states, and brave ridiculous traffic just to grocery shop.  The lines in Market Basket pre-holidays and pre-snowstorms make the apocalypse seem like a minor event.  Lately, though, I have noticed quite a bit of price gouging at my favorite grocery chain, so much so that it's no longer smart to buy meats (and many other things) there.

I decide to go to Whole Foods.  The few times I've shopped there, the only things beyond my budget are cleaning supplies, which I can buy anywhere, and Pie Guy Pies, which I only buy for special occasions.  I know they have excellent fruit and vegetables there, and it's only about a quarter of a mile from my house.  This seems like a no-brainer.

When I get inside the store, I start trolling the aisles.  Since I started comparison pricing last summer when Market Basket went on strike, I have come to realize that maybe I have been brainwashed into believing that I'm getting "more for (my) dollar," when, in fact, the words "sometimes" or "often" should be added in front of that claim.  Milk and orange juice prices at all of the grocery stores are the same.  Whole Foods healthier brand 365 food is pretty inexpensive, as well. 

The meat prices at Whole Foods?  Better than Market Basket, and better quality, too, according to those who swear by it (my oldest among them).  Same with the seafood, and it doesn't smell like week-old fish, a common stench at the more reasonably priced other chains.  Huh.  Maybe people are on to something here.

I make a pass through the health type products -- protein powder and vitamins and supplements enough to make my head spin.  I wouldn't even know where to begin with any addition to my diet that isn't a multi-vitamin or calcium, but it's interesting to look and see what might ail me.  Stomach settlers?  Herbal shakes?  Fish oil byproducts?  It's like being in GNC except there are bakery items on the end-stops.

Of course, I have to stroll by the bakery.  It hurts me to do so because I have finally come to the realization that bread and crackers are my downfall.  Seeing all that freshly baked bread and all of those tempting cookies and cakes is damn-near killing me, so I head back to the produce section, which is why I am here.

Everything in the produce section looks and smells great.  I am thoroughly convinced that Whole Foods is directly connected to God when it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables.  I have cash in my pocket, and I know the mantra well: "Whole Foods equals Whole Paycheck."  That's what I've always been told; that's what I always believed.  But, look ... sales.  Sales everywhere. 

I pick up bananas (on sale).  Then I see strawberries (on sale) and grab a container of those.  Oh, wow, blueberries!  The look fabulous, and, hey, they're on sale.  Hmmm, wouldn't it be nice to have some pineapple, too?  Sure it would.  If I'm going to bring home those lovely blueberries, maybe I should also get some eggs to make muffins.

Okay, okay, so the organic eggs are about a dollar more than I'm used to paying, but it saves me a trip to another store.  Besides, they're probably healthier and fresher than the ones at Stop and Shop.  I convince myself to grab them and get to the checkout counter.

The checkout.  Where people often suffer heart attacks (I know I do at Market Basket on a weekly basis).  Here it comes.  Containers full of strawberries and blueberries and pineapple, a bunch of bananas, a dozen eggs... I close my eyes and wince, waiting for that Whole Paycheck moment.

$11.00.  Yup, you see that correctly.  Eleven stinking dollars is all I paid.  And ... and ... the woman who put my groceries in a recyclable paper bag asks me, "Would you like a free rose?"

"Ummmmm ... what?"

"A free rose," she says again, "would you like a free rose?"

She must read my shocked expression.  She reaches over to the next register and grabs a beautiful, healthy long-stemmed red rose and hands it to me.

"Oh, that's so nice," I reply, smiling yet still somewhat shocked.  "I didn't get any valentines."  Then I joke, "Nobody loves me."  (Just so you all know, I didn't get any valentines, but I didn't GIVE any, either.  It's simply a Hallmark holiday in my household.)

"Well, WE love you," she says, smiling back at me.

Whole Foods is my new favorite store.  How can it not be?  Prices and selection are decent, it's close to home, and they love me.  Who could ask for anything more in a shopping experience?