Saturday, February 6, 2016

ADMITTING WHEN I'M WRONG


Okay, okay, okay; I admit when I'm wrong.  But, to be fair, I'm not really the one who's wrong, but I am somewhat wrong about being wrong.

I snubbed my nose at the Emergency Broadcast System's warning of an impending snowstorm.  Although it isn't an event worthy of being pre-warned by sirens, it turns out we get enough accumulation and ice to warrant a near shut-down of our neck of the woods.  Power goes out, schools are cancelled, and the interstate has to be closed down due to accidents.  I apologize for my cavalier attitude; I was mistaken to be so glib.

However, here's the caveat: The weather forecasters told us over and over again that our area would NOT, under any circumstances, be impacted by the snow.

Hahahahaha, even as I type those words, I am kicking myself in the ass.  When ... WHEN ... have I ever listened to the forecasters?  Do I not make sport of their livelihoods?  Do I not poke fun at them for being incapable of reading multiple computer models? Can I not better predict the weather by looking at a good old-fashioned radar map online?  Why, oh, why would I ever listen to the meteorologists now?

My work is shut-down, but, due to a computer glitch, the call never comes through.  Luckily a teammate texts me ten minutes before I leave the house.  An email, she explains; watch the news, she says.  I check my email and watch WBZ television to find out that, yes, indeed, the town has closed its schools.  No professional development day for me (the kids were out, anyway).  We try to keep the text chain going.  Some teachers still show up at school and have to turn around and go home.

By the time the snow stops, it is reasonably late.  I have to get the driveway and walkway shoveled; the the six-or-so inches of snow is horrifyingly laden with the rain that fell before it changed over.  The damn stuff is heavy as all get-out.  By the time I'm done, both of my Achilles tendons scream bloody murder.

I admit when I'm wrong, even when I'm not really wrong, nor completely wrong, nor even wrong enough.  Now, if you don't mind, this sort-of-wrong person with the exhausted limbs is going to bed.  I don't care if it's only dinner time -- I've already been wrong today, so it's probably a safe bet I won't be wrong again today.