Monday, December 2, 2013

CRAZY COPS, DASATRDLY DETOURS, AND WHY I NEED BAIL MONEY



I should probably be in jail right now.  It's a long story, though.  Oh, what the hell.  Might as well tell it.

The roads are too icy to drive on in the morning, so returning College Boy to school must wait until the freezing rain turns to just plain old rain.  We leave the house around 1:00 p.m. and promptly sit in traffic on the highway.  This is exactly how the trip to get him home for Thanksgiving started, and it seems to be repeating itself at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend.  Bullshit -- no way am I sitting in traffic for ninety minutes yet again, so I swerve to the nearest exit and start heading toward the back roads.

Unfortunately, though, this town in New Hampshire is having its Santa parade that starts on the secondary main street, then cuts across the actual main street, then ends at the only other main street through the entire place.  That plus train tracks makes it completely impossible to go north at all.  I (and about thirty other drivers) realize this all too late as we sit in gridlock traffic where cones and sawhorses have been set up to impede our northward progress.

College Boy starts navigating the roads on his cell phone, and we dutifully follow all the detour signs.  Unfortunately the detour signs lead to a police matron-guarded dead end.  We and about sixty other cars start turning around and madly try to find a way to go north.  Anything to avoid the highway back-up.

We stop and ask the police matron how to get to Derry.  She says. "28.  Take a right."

"It's blocked for the parade," we say.

"Oh.  Too bad."  And then she laughs at us.  The goddamn motherf***ing lard ass lazy detour-hoarding slacker LAUGHS at us. 

All I'm going to say before I tell the rest of the story is that it's a damn good thing it is raining and that there is a huge line of traffic both being tricked by the detour and trying to get out of the aftermath of being tricked by the detour.

I lean my head out the open window and yell at her, "Shut the fuck up, you fucking bitch!"

She laughs harder, and I throw her the bird and yell, "Fuck you!"

Yup, merry Christmas and happy Santa parade. 

By the time we reach the highway again, three miles south of where we exited the highway and started the detours in the first place, forty minutes later, and only eight miles from our original starting point, I am livid, near tears, and quite sure I will be summonsed to court for verbally abusing an officer of the law.

In my defense, and in defense of the hundred or so cars who are also bamboozled,  let me say that a place as busy as this particular town shouldn't be blocking its only three major points of egress on the major Sunday shopping day of the post-Thanksgiving/pre-Christmas holiday season.  Also in my defense, when someone is lost and asks a cop for directions, that cop (if she is a cop and not just impersonating one) shouldn't send said person into a blocked street then laugh at her.  Honestly, that behavior does indeed make you a fucking bitch.  Period.  So, lastly in my defense, I truly was not lying, therefore it cannot be considered abuse; it's more like stating a fact.

I'm still expecting a summons in the mail.  Actually, probably not.  If the fucking bitch is too lazy to help me, she is probably too lazy to write down my plate number.  And, truth be told, I probably am not the first nor the last to scream at her about the "detour" that turned out to be nothing more than leading lambs to slaughter.

If I do end up in jail, though, someone bring a copy of this blog entry and some cash to the police station and bail me the hell out.  Lord knows I don't want to end up being charged with choking the bitch; screaming at her upset me enough.

That's my defense, and I'm sticking to it.