Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A GOOD OFFENSE IS A STRONG DEFENSE

I'm going to get reprimanded at work, maybe even fired. I let loose a tirade of bad words in an after-school meeting.  I have a decent defense.  I swear I was just trying to prevent the spread of stupidity.

You see, your honor, it's like this.

For two and a half years I have been working on a project called Common Assessments.  Recently we also added in District Determined Measures.  Today I found out that all of my hard work has gone down the drain.  Well here, judge for yourself.

Me:  Here are the completed common assessments you wanted.

Him:  Great, but this isn't really what I wanted.

Me:  What DO you want?

Him:  Well, I don't really want this.

Me:  Then what do you want that isn't this?

Him:  I don't know what I want.

Me:  So, you don't want what I made, and you don't know what you want.  What do you want me to do?

Him:  I want you to do anything you want!

(Not anything because right now anything I want might involve playground justice and duct tape.)


Today in a meeting, after working for years to try and read the boss's mind, and after years of getting submitted finished products shot down over and over, my immediate supervisor pulls up a website that has all of the common tests and regulated learning procedures that the big boss truly believes will be a fix-all for the children.  I wonder why this website was not shown to us sooner, like maybe within the last two and a half years.

I open my mouth to voice this concern, but all that falls out are expletives. I sound like Charlie Brown's teacher as a crackhead.  It's amazing even to me how many times I can creatively weave the F-word into a simple sentence.

Oh, I'm quite certain that I harmed someone's fragile constitution with my foul-mouthed diatribe.

But put yourselves in my shoes -- I'm running, running, running as fast as I can with no track lane and no direction, and this guy wonders why I can't keep pace?

Dude, you are the biggest fucking douche, and I think that's about the safest thing you'll hear me let fly.  The rest of it I cannot even repeat here, it's that bad.

So, yes, your honor, while I did indeed swear and I did indeed show disrespect to both my immediate supervisor and the big boss (behind his back), it was and still is completely justified.

With that, the defense rests.