Friday, November 22, 2013

VICARIOUS FUR COAT SHOPPING -- OR WHY I LOVE RETIRED WOMEN



So, my headache doesn't really get any better.  As a matter of fact, it makes me feel so sick that I leave work after my last academic block but before an important administrative meeting.  Apparently no one tells my principal because the vice principal who answered my emergency "I'm gonna puke" email also leaves sick.  Oh well.  Life is like that sometimes.

I head home, pop some Tylenol, and try to eat something.  I'm home now, so I don't care if I spend the rest of the afternoon hugging the porcelain god.  But I have an event to attend at 6:00 p.m.  I truly want to go because my brand-new daughter-in-law will be at the event, and I want to support her and hang out with her, too, because she's a blast to be around.  So at 5:50 p.m., I've rallied enough to make it to the store where the event will be held.  It's only about a half-mile from my house.  If I feel terrible, I could even crawl home if need be.

When I arrive, I see food.  Ugh.  Nope.  Not happening.  I work my way through the store.  It's a high-end consignment shop, and the stuff they sell is exceptional, really great quality with competitive prices.  I am distracted by the shiny objects and party dresses for events to which I will never be invited.  I work my way toward the back and discover … fur coats.

Now please do not debate with me the merits or disgraces of animal hunting.  There are goddamn skunks and river rats overrunning my urban neighborhood, and I recently saw a dead wolf on the side of a suburban highway.  I like wildlife as much as the next person, but there's a line to be drawn (like when I cannot get into the parking lot of my work because there are twenty or thirty turkeys pecking the pebbles off the driveway for about fifteen minutes and they are completely undaunted by screaming and honking and revved engines).  So please, don't judge me as some kind of anti-animal rights person simply because I grew up hiding away in the fur coat section of Jordan Marsh with my sister where we would smooth out the fur going one way and write words with our fingers going against the fur grain.

Back to my present-day story.  In the fur coat section of the store, I discover some mink and raccoon coats.  They are gorgeous, luxurious, stunning.  And semi-expensive.  The full-length minks I pull from the rack run between $800 and $1,000.  Oooooh.  Shiiiiiiny.  Then I discover the full-length raccoon coats are only $300.  Bargain!  I wonder where in my world would I ever wear a full-length fur coat?  A Bruins game?  Yeah.  No.  So I walk away.

But not for long. 

There is a masseuse set up near the station where my daughter-in-law is located.  DIL convinces me to get a mini-massage, which turns into five minutes of relaxation, which, for me, is alien.  I've had two kinds of massages:  the electric pulse ones for a lower-back/hip bursitis problem, and a brief hands-on one at a conference.  Apparently I cannot relax.  That's right, you heard me:  The woman who can fall asleep at a stop light, who routinely falls off the computer chair in a dead faint, who can doze in the dentist chair, cannot relax herself long enough to get a mini-massage.  When berated to relax my shoulders, I usually respond, "I AM RELAXED!" (followed by "FUCK OFF" under my breath).  But I suffer from cluster headaches, and I'm in the throes of a two-day cluster headache right now.  I allow the masseuse to touch all of the extremely painful pressure points of my neck and head.  Does this hurt, she asks me over and over.  Yes, actually it's like torture and daggers but I'll risk anything for a few minutes of relief at this point.  The pain the nerve endings are feeling at the base of my skull are better than the tearing agony of the pain behind my eyeball that is shooting in hot pokers out my right ear.  There are actually a few moments during this mini-massage where I forget I have a headache.  Eventually, though, I have to yield the chair.

For the first time in days I am craving something to drink and feel like I might be able to keep it in my stomach.  I stop and eat something flaky and then hit the cannoli chips and ricotta dip - holy shit, people, there really is a god.  I head to the rear of the shop where the wine table is waiting.  When I go back, two older women are trying on fur coats.  They are absolutely beautiful, hair done to the max, jewelry, and thoroughly enjoying their night out.  They've little intention of purchasing furs.  The saleswoman is working it, and she's doing a great job.  Three gulps of sauvignon blanc later, I'm ready to help her out.

I start chatting the ladies up and drooling over how nice they look in the various furs, and, truth be told, they do look fabulous.  "That coat is gorgeous with your hair color," I gush quite honestly and with a little jealousy.  Her friend agrees.  I sip some more and move along.  After circling the store for the fourth time, I find myself back at the furs again.  This time the other woman is trying on a fur coat.  She looks equally stunning, and I tell her so.

To make a long story just slightly less long, I end up becoming great pals with Muriel, Joan, and their other pal Gloria, who is buying a lime-colored suede jacket and debating some semi-matching gold-green-blue jewelry.  I grab the jacket from her and hold it up.  "Put the necklace with it," I smile smoothly, then add, "and with a navy shirt underneath, this look is killer."  I turn my attention back to Joan.  "What happened to that sexy mink that matches your hair?"  She assures me it is up at the counter waiting for her.  I turn to Muriel.  She is debating between a short jacket, a mid-length jacket, and a long coat.  All three are mink.  I try to read the sales clerk.  She's pushing for the mid-length, I can tell.

I chat Muriel up, discover she is recently retired from education, and convince her she is worth the money and the mink.  Completely and totally worth it.  She says she has no place to wear it.  I assure her that I would go wherever she does in that jacket because she looks fantastic, beautiful, stunning.  And I'm not remotely joking.  She simply looks gloriously happy in the mink.  I wish I could look so happy. 

Once I have convinced the three women that no, I do not work for the store and I am not getting a commission, I hit the wine table up one more time.  Headache?  What headache?  I yak with them until they reach the cash register.  I'm telling you, I am not letting those women go anywhere without those coats.  I want to live vicariously through them, three wonderfully happy friends having a marvelous time and looking radiant beyond anything I've seen.  I cannot recall the last time I saw such truly lovely women inside and out, such close kinship amongst my own at their ages, which they admit to me is 70.  I assure Muriel she doesn't look a day over 62, and I mean it.  Retired people, especially those retired from education, always look younger as they age.

I leave the shop without making a single purchase for tonight really isn't about me.  I mean, it is and it isn't.  I'm out and about, and I'm having a helluva time, and for the first time in 48 hours my head is only pounding and not throbbing with brain-strangling agony.  (Those who live with cluster headaches understand that there is no choice but to push through the pain because the episodes often last days, even weeks, so functionality is one of our coping mechanisms.)  I smile for the first time in hours.  I am relaxed for the first time in what feels like forever.

About thirty minutes after returning home my headache finds me again.  It wasn't really gone, but it did seem to be napping for a bit.  I think about those three charming women and I hope they are as happy with their purchases as I am for them.  I can't wait to be them -- a little older, retired, out and having a grand time with chums without a care in the world.  Meeting them has changed my outlook and how I feel about myself. 

And most of all, it reminds me that I haven't lost my touch for retail.

So the next time I'm on the verge of being fired, or if my boss freaks out because I am deathly ill in the middle of the day, get permission to leave, but forget to get my urgent request sanctioned by ten supervisors and the president, I guess I'll still have a career in sales … if that sales clerk in the fur department of the shop doesn't want to skin me alive first for honing in on her sales, that is.

That's my story, anyway, and it's mostly the truth.  Only the names have been… no, they haven't.  Shout out to Gloria, Muriel, and Joan.  You are my new BFF's.