Friday, November 23, 2012

YAHTZEE ... MA'AM!



I'm all for helping out the Marines, but seriously.  This is just too much.

It's Thanksgiving, and my niece, who is a Marine, brought home two other Marines with her for the holiday.  First, let me say they are three of the nicest young women anyone might ever hope to meet.  Second, let me assure you these women can single-handedly beat just about anyone's ass as they have muscles of steel and the true grit that goes with their military calling.

When we get the message that dinner is going to be about another fifteen minutes (translation: Settle in for a while; the turkey's not done yet), I head to the game table with two of my kids and another relative to play a rabid game of Yahtzee.  The Texas Marine hasn't played Yahtzee before, but we discover she knows poker.  If you know poker, you know the hierarchy and basic principles of Yahtzee, so we pull her into the game and get her all set up. 

The first roll on the table is by the relative, who scores a Yahtzee almost immediately.  My son follows with a full house.  Then the Marine goes and starts out her score with something equally impressive, a small straight.  My daughter gets on the board filling in the top portion of the score sheet, three-of-a-kind of anything from aces to sixes, and my turn is about as exciting as hers.

We go round and round the card table like this for several more turns until all workable spots are filled in, including the chance spots, and I am forced to take the first zero.  I put it in four of a kind because even if I do get four of a kind, I can put it into three of a kind.  Booyah.   As we're checking our progress, we realize that the Marine is wiping the table with us.  She who has never played Yahtzee before is suddenly kicking our collective butts, even the relative who started out with the fifty-point roll.

For a fleeting moment, I start having flashbacks of my grandfather who always claimed he didn't know the rules of Hearts then would shoot the moon and win the game, all the while playing dumb.  I am beginning to suspect that maybe we are being played and what we have on our hands is a bona fide shark.  But when I look at the officer, she is clearly having a good time, clearly engaged in learning the game, and there isn't a penny of money exchanging our hands.  She is quite simply having some terrific beginner's luck.  And, to be perfectly frank, the rest of us totally suck at this game at the moment.

The final scores are tallied and announced, and it is clear that not only did I score the worst of the five of us, but the Marine out-scored me by more than one hundred points.  Presently there is an announcement:  Dinner is served.  Good thing because I'm not sure I could stand another ass-whomping like the one I just got.  

Honestly, though, and without any pomp nor circumstance, I appreciate the brave people who serve in our Armed Forces, and it is a great privilege and an absolute pleasure to share our day with these fantastic women.  We have many military vets in the family, and it is because of them we are able to sit around the table and play Yahtzee with our families while prepping the Thanksgiving meal.  


To American military personnel everywhere, I thank you.  To my niece and her mates, Semper Fidelis.  It is an honor to break bread with you.