Tuesday, November 13, 2012

IF I RAN THE ZOO



Apparently the entire world has decided to go to the zoo.

No, I'm serious here, people.  Every damn person who isn't incarcerated or in a coma has decided to take advantage of a day off coupled with November temperatures in the high 60's, and go to Franklin Park Zoo.  The parking lots are full, and we have to pass two more extra lots and side-street parking before we come to a dirt lot where we find a spot and face the car out for a quick get-away later.  My daughter and I are going to fight the crowds from start to finish, and we are going to have a good day at the zoo if it kills us both.

No sooner are we out of the car and onto the sidewalk when she is attacked by a tree branch.  I'm not kidding; I see it with my own eyes.  The branch jumps off the ground, grabs her ankle, and tries to maim her by tripping her directly into the street.  She dances around for a moment but maintains her balance.  She had been attacked by an even larger branch the day before, so this sneak attack does not cause the same damage its larger counterpart did.  She is like Tree Branch Ninja and quickly disposes of the limb with a loud snap. 

We survive the tree branch assault and are happily making our way toward the zoo's back entrance when we are assaulted again, this time by dozens of miniature sprinters.  We know that there is a cross-country running course here, but we didn't expect there to be a race today, which we realize isn't truly what is happening when we hear the tepid cries of "Diego Diego DIEGO!" coming from behind us.  Apparently Diego Diego Diego and his nine or ten siblings have gotten away from their mother, who pushes six or seven more in a giant stroller.  We jump off the sidewalk, opt for the street, and pick up the pace to make sure we put distance between us and them before we hit the zoo … entrance … Hey, what the hell!  How the hell did they get IN FRONT of us in line?  Does she have a friggin' turbo stroller?  How the … damnitall.  Now as we wait in line, we have Diego Diego Diego and his line-dancing dwarf siblings surrounding us like the sudden invasion of the Alamo.  The only things that are missing are coonskin hats, Santa Ana, and the bugle playing "No Quarter."

The line to get into the zoo is long, not as long as when we waited that last time to see the corpse flower (Remember that adventure? Another doozey!), but still.  Long.  Very long.  Usually members are allowed to show their cards and get right in, but only one window is open today, so we wait.  All of us.  All of us with membership cards, even Diego Diego Diego's mother, waiting in line with the in-line paying families and waiting, waiting, waiting.  All of us.  Except…

Suddenly from behind, we are assaulted yet again, this time by an uppity suburban-mom type woman who looks thirty, is probably eighty, and has enough botox and self-importance in her to supply the entire state of California, including Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and the whole of the San Andreas Fault, which is roughly the same length as her mouth.  She demands to know why she has to wait, and she starts verbally assaulting those of us who have finally made it to the entrance turnstile. She starts screaming about how she is a MEMBER OF THE ZOO and how she has a LARGE PARTY WITH HER and shouldn't someone just LET HER IN.  So we show her our membership cards, the group behind me and I do and Diego Diego Diego's mom does.  We ALL have membership cards, and we ALL are waiting in line like sane, rational, reasonable people.  She sees we will not budge, and she starts jockeying her way into the front of the line.

And then it happens. 

This is the moment my daughter cringes from; this is the moment that friends and family start changing their names and addresses, covering their faces, and filing papers to enter the witness relocation program; this is the moment where my mouth is going to open and very bad things are going to fly out and hit this ugly bitch right between her over-plucked eyebrows.  My fists are balling, my blood pressure is sky-rocketing, and my left eye starts to twitch as every swear word I ever learned begins sifting out of my brain and making an express trip directly to my larynx.  Not only am I going to hurl some mighty insults at this woman, but I might have to strangle her until she is blue and cannot utter another sound from between her professionally capped teeth.

In short, this zoo visitor is going to die.  Right here.  Right now.

But then, to my absolute amazement, the people behind me throw a perfect flanking maneuver, Diego Diego Diego's mom gathers her litter to block the entire entranceway, I turn my back on Ms. More Important than God, and no one…. NO ONE … lets her in.  She continues to rant and spew and threaten stupid asshole things like, "We'll just leave then!  We're not waiting in this line!  Do you know who I am?"  And of course we all ignore her because we don't care if she leaves nor waits in line, and we know damn well who she is -- A damn rude douche, that's who.  Though we continue to look for her during our jaunt through the zoo, we never do see her again.  And that's good, because I am still furious with her, and I also still have all those swears building up behind my voice box just waiting to mainline to my mouth, and that kind of backlog sort of burns a bit.

We enjoy our three-mile walk to and around and from the zoo.  Many of the animals are gone for the day as the signs tell us "because it's so cold" at almost 70 degrees - go figure.  And many of the animals are just too darn tired of seeing people to bother anymore.  The zebra and donkey stand still like they've been to the taxidermist already; the leopard can't be bothered to move from its perch, its head resting on its mammoth paws; the lion is dead asleep (or maybe just dead) on his side in his display; a gorilla lies motionless near the glass, its ass facing the audience, and the inside plexiglass walls smeared with fresh piles of sludgy feces (which is an improvement because last time we were here the gorilla had a huge pile of crap in its hand and then ate the whole thing like it was a giant turd Yodel).  The best part is that the poop is smooshed in such a way that the gorilla's finger marks are still visible, and the poop is obviously thrown at kid-face height. 

We work our way back to the car, strategically parked not only directly opposite of the exit but also facing the street, you know, in case the cops have finally found us and we need to make that rapid getaway we talked about earlier because I would've murdered that absolute hose-bag who tried to cut in line.  If only I ran the zoo, people like that nasty woman would be in cages, too, and everyone would get a free cow pie to toss at her, even the animals and especially the gorilla because he has excellent aim.  So here's to that woman; here's my shortened version of Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo:

Ladies and gents, if I ran the zoo
I'd only let nice people in, just like you.
And all of the nasty, uptight VIPs
Would find themselves vaulted to limbs in the trees
While bruises did cover their norths and their souths,
And my fist would quiet their ignorant mouths.
We'd be nice to animals simply because
They're hairy or feathered or covered with fuzz,
And if they got out, they'd eat us, you know,
Or go to the bus stop, just like that ape Joe.
But best of all, kiddies, if I ran the zoo
Everyone gets a handful of pooh
So when someone's rude, cutting lines or that bit,
We all get to throw and we smear them with shit.
Like that bitch who did try to cut in the line -
She'd be the recipient of that pile of mine.
I'd sure get arrested and never forget her
But I know that it would make me feel better.
Last but not least, if the zoo I did run,
I'd shoot politicians with my tranquilizer gun.

THE END