Saturday, November 17, 2012

WHY UNDERSTANDING THE HOLIDAY SHOPPING CALENDAR IS AN ESSENTIAL SKILL



 My son is coming home from college and needs to buy some clothes for school.  After all, it is starting to get chilly, and the shorts/tee shirt combo is probably starting to wear thin.  I offer to take him shopping this weekend while he is home picking up his car to take back to campus for few days (Hurrah!  He can drive himself home for the Thanksgiving break!).  He declines my generous offer, saying he has to get back to school (translated: party) but that we can go shopping next weekend.

Next weekend … NEXT WEEKEND?  What the … Does this boy not know what happens next weekend?!

I recoil through the phone when he makes this nonchalant suggestion.  He's a teenaged boy (still) and really has no wide-spread awareness of life outside of the college cocoon, which is fine and exactly how I want it.  But I almost have a stroke. 

"Dude," I scream into the receiver, "are you insane?"

"What?  Why?," he replies, his voice reasonable and innocent.  "We could go to the mall next Satur--"

I cut him off.  "ARE YOU COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR MIND?!  THAT'S BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND!"

This is the same child who waited in wee-hour Black Friday lines through the dark and the cold to buy a video game two years ago; who went with his sister last year to freeze his ass off in line at Best Buy through the frigid Black Friday Witching Hour.  And now he is planning an excursion into the fray for pants?

"Please," I beg, near tears, "please don't make me do it.  Please.  Can't we just stop on the way back tomorrow after I pick you up?  I'll come get you early.  We can go to the store.  I'll buy you whatever you need.  I'll … buy … you …. I'll … I'll buy you a condo, an island, a … giraffe!  I'll buy you a goddamned giraffe if you just don't make me go near any stores next weekend.  Don't make me do it!  DON'T MAKE ME DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  I am screeching now, and my voice sounds like a cacophonous melding of pre-committed mental patient and a banshee.

I am not a shopper - never have been; never will be.  I get hives just thinking about shopping.  As a matter of fact, just typing up this post about shopping is making me queasy. 

Some people love Black Friday.  Some people plan their entire holiday season around it, including the donning of elaborate matching costumes and making lunch reservations.  In short, Black Friday has become a full-contact sport.  Under normal conditions, I thrive on full-contact sports.  A little blood, sweat, tears, and broken bones never hurt anyone.  But this --- full-contact shopping bags, pocketbooks, and feather boas -- this is entirely out of my realm of comfort.

I will try to convince my boy to get his pants-shopping done on this trip home from the university.  If that doesn't work, I will gladly hand him a wad of cash to go do his own shopping.  He can make reservations and take his new giraffe (remember, it's the one with which I have bribed him) out to lunch.  But he cannot make me go near a store next weekend.  It's just not going to happen.  I love my kids and I think they definitely should be properly clothed for the elements, but I also value my limbs and my sanity.

Damn you, Black Friday and the official opening of the holiday shopping season!  Let the anti-shopping hibernation begin!