Saturday, November 24, 2012

SMALL BUSINESS SAD-URDAY



I went for a three-mile walk Friday, which isn't much except that my left glut muscle still feels like it's covering a broken hip socket.  (Old age blows.)  The purpose of this walk was three-fold:  exercise off some of Thanksgiving dinner from the day before; enjoy one of the last nice days before winter gets us fully into its grip; and check out the sales for Small Business Saturday. 

I am not a Black Friday shopper.  I plan for months in advance what to do to completely avoid Black Friday crowds.  I won't even drive anywhere near a mall nor a department store.  This determination meant that no grocery shopping could be done on Friday because my main store is right next to Kohl's, so I am sipping the last of the milk like it's fine scotch.  (Okay, so I could've walked to the store down the street and bought milk if I really wanted to, but that wasn't the purpose of the walk.  I did not write: reason #4 = buy milk, did I?  I didn't think so.)

Small Business Saturday, for those who do not follow the news, is a holiday after Black Friday where locally-owned shops compete for holiday consumer business.  I fully expected to do some shopping Saturday, today, after my car was serviced.  But what I saw yesterday was that all the shops had their sales on Friday, Black Friday.  Not Small Business Saturday. 

I mean, really.  What the freak. 

Perhaps they will have sales on both days, but that's not what the signs in the store windows claimed.  So here's my major gripe for today:  If small businesses truly want our business and want (and expect) consumers to support such events as Small Business Saturday, shouldn't they perhaps cater toward that end?  Why should consumers make an effort (other than major guilt over greedy conglomerates) to support small businesses if the businesses are not going to make an effort to embrace consumers?

We are losing the locally-owned shops at a rate that rivals the number of times freaks are photographed shopping at Wal-Mart.  If truth be told, I'm willing to bet that the rate of small businesses declining and failing is directly correlative to the increase in weirdos posted on peopleofwalmart.com.  Yes, I expect small business owners and their clerks to fawn over me, to wine and dine me, to trip over themselves trying to capture and maintain my loyal business.  If that's too much work for them, I hope their businesses do fail, and rightfully so.

If I wanted to be ignored or mistreated, I'd go out on Black Friday with the masses and suffer the agida associated with gross consumerism.  I prefer the personal touch, and I'm willing to pay for it.  It's too bad so many people feel simply unlocking their door and hanging up an "open" sign is good enough. 

I walked three miles today looking for signs of hope and prosperous invitations for Small Business Saturday.  If it's not equally important to shop owners, believe me, broken hip socket or not, I'm just going to keep on walking.