Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A LOT OF SEAGULLS



I went to the grocery store today to get three items.  Nice and simple.  In and out.  No mess; no fuss; no lines; no drama.  My kind of shopping.  No terrifying encounters inside the store. 

Outside, though, that was another story.

You see, I have been thinking about ways to get healthy (and trying to convince myself that Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are health food since they contain peanut butter which has protein, right?), so I parked my car way out in the lot at the store.  It was fine when I walked to the building because my mind was on a mission: Remembering my list items (which, remarkably, I did).  When I exited the store, I patted myself on the back.  After all, I had walked a little, found the items I intended to find, and was preparing to walk back to my car at a reasonably brisk pace.

That's when I heard it.

Far above me and getting louder and closer, a strange screeching noise shattered the relative quiet of the semi-busy lot.  I craned my neck to see what was making the sound:  A seagull.

Now let it be known that we live about 20 miles inland and are such an inconsequential town that even the pigeons don't bother hanging around.  But every so often we get some errant, retarded seagulls that seem to think our tiny river (that only swells when it's spring sports season and it buries the lower fields) is the highway to the ocean.  They are wrong, of course, because as I already mentioned they are retarded.  And errant.  They are errantly retarded.  Maybe retardedly errant.  Either way, they damn well shouldn't be here.

As I stepped off the curb to begin the half-mile hike to my vehicle, I noticed something I hadn't seen except in a movie.  I noticed that there were hundreds of gulls littering the parking lot like balls of trash.  I also noticed a few dozen in the sky actually dive-bombing toward people about ten feet above our heads.

My first thought, of course, was to shoo the dirty bastards away from my car so I might be able to unlock it and get in, hopefully still carrying my bag of goodies.  (There was a huge gull at the beach, you know, the beach twenty miles to the east, that could steal two large lobsters off a take-out tray in one fell swoop, and he'd been dubbed The General.)  As I ran, as did several others, across the pavement, I thought to myself, "Come on, kid.  How often do ya get pooped on by a bird?  What are the odds?" 

And then it hit me - no, not turd, but an observation.  I noticed that the tar all around me was coated with white bird bombs.  Honestly, it looked like some kind of a bizarre game:  It was Pooh City all around my car.  Not ON my car, thankfully, since I just washed it.  Well, I washed it the day before it rained, but that's another story.

I finally reached my car after performing several tactical swerves in the lot trying to avoid becoming some kind of doodoo target.  The birds sat there, mocking me like extras in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.  I was sorely tempted to beep my horn at them when I drove by, or maybe even take a pass through the whole lot and wipe out the minions.

But I got scared.  I chickened out, got bird-brained, was a few feathers short of a pillow.  Besides, those gulls had been watching me, mocking me since I parked.  I'll bet they even called The General with my location and took down my license plate number.  I shifted the car quietly and crawled my way out of my parking spot - any sudden movement might spook them - then drove carefully around and through the massive squalls of birds everywhere.

Damn birds.  Damn Alfred Hitchcock.

Filthy bastards.