Thursday, November 8, 2012

NOR'EASTER #1



Last week: Hurricane.  This week: Nor'easter.  Welcome to autumn in New England.

I left work Wednesday and drove four towns east to my afternoon grad class, heading through an intense snow squall that stopped twenty minutes after it began.  By the time I arrived in Salem, it wasn't even raining, just sort of misting.  Rather surprising since the coast was, according to the online radar, experiencing heavy downpours.  But, then again, there wasn't supposed to be snow in our area, either, and yet there it was.

While sitting in class, the wind picked up and began screaming past the windows.  The blinds were drawn as much as they could be, but it's an older school desperately in need of some cosmetic upgrades, so the window dressings were more of a peep show.  Our classroom, located on the bottom floor and within sniffing distance of the in-building Dunkin Donuts, looked out to the street where the trees blew around and leaves sailed past the windows like shoppers on Black Friday right after the doors open at Best Buy. 

By the time class ended hours later, the mist had turned to more of a spray, and it was falling sideways in gusty sheets.  The wipers held it all at bay for a while, but the precipitation was blowing so ardently that most of the ride home the windshield actually stayed completely dry despite the barrage of water from the cars in front of me.  I couldn't understand it as it was quite obviously and persistently raining.  I could see it in the streetlights as it pounded toward the ground.  And yet -- the glass in the front and rear of my car didn't show so much as a whisper of water.  Tree branches were dancing while various unsecured lawn items and trash flew across the road, but we were all driving along seemingly in a giant mobile bubble, undeterred by the meteorological elements happening directly around us. 

It was strangely and yet eerily entertaining.

If we could just beg Mother Nature for every storm to be so easy, to envelop us in invisible protective gear that requires neither scraper nor shovel (nor wipers), we might survive another winter.  But it's probably too much to hope for.  After all, last winter was nonexistent.  Except for the Halloween storm and an occasional spritz of flakes, it was the mildest winter for both snow and temperatures that I recall in my entire lifetime.

Now because I mentioned the bubble of storm protection and the mild winter, you know we're going to get our asses kicked, and it's going to be my fault.  Hurricane Sandy had played herself out by the time she hit here; this nor'easter seems to have done the same.  Don't you dare come pointing at me if we wake in the morning to half a foot of snow, though.  I did my time in the multiple big storms we've had in the last five decades, and I did my time through the Blizzard of '78 (gosh, that was a beaut, if I do say so myself) and I did my time shoveling tens of feet worth of the white shit two years ago.

Yup, if we wake up to snow, just tell Mother Nature I burst her bubble … and that I ran like hell.