Sunday, April 2, 2017

ON HAVING A BAD DAY - OR NOT

How do I know when I'm having a bad day?

First of all, I am not having a bad day at work.  I get to work early, get everything ready, have most of my grades ready to close, sail through the lessons, get an extra prep because my teammates are either absent or leaving early (so I finish the worst of the grading), and get out on time.

I'm not having a bad day driving because the snow that's falling isn't even sticking to the ground yet, and there is very little traffic on the roads, anyway.

I'm not having a bad day when I stop for alcohol because, even though I would love to find small individual bottles of sparkling wine, I do get a front row parking space to buy beer for the weekend, and I'm in and out of the packie in less than three minutes.

I'm not having a bad day when I get home because the driveway is clear and I back right into my spot.  The mail is already here, too, which is unusual because it usually arrives around 5:30.  The rent is due, so I write out the check, slip-slide down the driveway that is now starting to accumulate a little snow, and deliver the check to my landlord.  This whole process takes less than two minutes.

I'm home, errands are done, and I have multiple leftovers to choose from for dinner.  I opt for the leftover fries, broccoli, and filet mignon.  Time to open one of those beers I just brought home.  Right?

THIS is when I know I'm having a bad day. 

I am so tired from the week that was, the week from Hell (except today), that I do not even have the strength or motivation to attack the cardboard container that holds the beer.  I try getting my fingernails under the edges, I try pulling at the sides, and I even try attacking a loose edge with my teeth.

Nope.  Gotta get out the knife.  I am so tired that it takes a damn sandwich knife to open the 12-pack of beer.

It's all good, though.  I have a great dinner and an ice cold beer.  All the rest of the beer fits into the fridge, I don't lose power during the storm, and I sleep with very little interruption for ten hours, catching up on all my lost zzzzz's.

Guess I really don't know when I'm having a bad day ... because I'm not.  Cheers!