Saturday, April 22, 2017

NEAR-DISASTROUS APRIL BREAK

Last month I had a cold.  Sounds pretty normal for a teacher, but I had to kill it because I was going to see my granddaughter in North Carolina, and there was no way I would miss seeing her.  I went old school: Vick's Vaporub, cough syrup, acetaminophen, steam, and lots of tea with honey.  Except for a major coughing fit at Logan while waiting for my flight down (it brought tears to my eyes), I cured myself pretty quickly.

Then, weeks later . . . April Break.

The last day of school before break is a half-day, Good Friday, and I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like a plow has hit me.  I don't have a fever (yay!  NOT the flu), but my throat is on fire.  Great.  Pissah.  Here I go again.  I have plans for my break, and now -- another flippin' cold.

That's it.  I am going to Lysol the crap out of my classroom from now on.  But, for the time being, it's too late.

I have major plans this week.  My sister and I are going to Strubridge Village.  I have an appointment for my car.  I am having lunch with a friend.  I am going to a paint night.  I am having dinner with my daughter (who also needs an emergency hospital visit for a broken foot).  I am walking/jogging a 5k.

In other words, I have stuff to do, and being sick doesn't fit on that list anywhere.

So, folks, I am stocking up yet again on Vick's Vaporub, buying more cough syrup, restocking Tylenol, and investing in sinus medication.  I'm back in my comfy clothes (sweats and fuzzy socks) by 4:00 p.m. Friday afternoon.  There will be no wine tastings for me this weekend -- I'm going to baby myself (except for the 5k) for the rest of the weekend before going back to work.  And, hey, I may even try to sleep in a prone position since I have been sleeping sitting up for several nights now.

Oh, I should also empty my bedroom trash can.  It's loaded with snot-filled tissues from days of absolute physical and immune-system meltdown.  It's the perfect ending to a near-disastrous April break.