Sunday, July 31, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK

I know, I know: my "wine" of the week is turning into multiple wines.  I'm sorry!  I can't help it if I am lucky enough to taste lots and lots of fabulous wines.  I mean, it's a horrid life, I concur, but someone has to live it so I volunteered to save the rest of you.

This week I attend two tastings.  One tasting features reds that can be chilled for summer enjoyment; the other tasting features roses (insert accent -- I can't, no matter how many tutorials I attempt).  I'll start with the first recommendation, which is for the reds.

When it comes to Spanish wine, I gravitate toward Granache, so it's no surprise to me that the Grenache/Syrah red blend captures my attention.  Torito Bravo's 2015 blend, imported here by a local company in Beverly, boasts that it "evokes a journey across Spanish landscapes ... the coastal breeze ... Picasso ... Flamenco ..."  I'm not sure about that, but this red blend kicks ass.  We sip it at room temperature and we sip it chilled, two completely different tastes, both amazing. 

This is the part of the tasting that scares me.  I love this red, completely and totally, and I figure it must be somewhere in the $25 range, possibly more.  My jaw drops (as do the jaws of the others at the tasting) when the sommelier announces the price per bottle: $7.99.  Sold.  My first recommendation for this week is the 2015 Torito Bravo red blend.

Out of the roses, there are three that strike me.  Coming in at third place is Domaine Tariquet Rose, a 2015 French wine that's dry and fruity.  It is made up of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Syrah, and Tannat and has a robust, deep color.  This wine is a steal at $9.99 per bottle.

Rose #2 is also a French wine.  The combination of Grenache (big surprise it's on my list), Cinsault, Syrah, and Cabernet.makes this $13.99 wine absolutely worth the price.  Also a 2015, Cammanderie de Bargemone Rose hints of strawberries and currants.

Rose #1, a 2015 (might as well make it a 2015 quad) German rose, is light in color but delivers big on flavor.  It is smooth, pleasant, and quite interesting.  It boasts red cherry and berry flavors but also throws in touches of coffee bean, vanilla, and herbs.  This 2015 Villa Wolf Rose is 100% Pinot Noir grapes and has a lasting finish.  This one is another steal at $9.99.

There you have it -- Four recommendations to keep your summer wine list growing.  Don't thank me; try them.  Once you do, you'll thank yourself for choosing such great wines that don't suck the life out of your wallet.