Sunday, July 17, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK

Lots of good wines this week at two separate tastings, and it's a tough call.  I am juggling three whites and one red for this week's top honor, and this is when it dawns on me:

How lucky am I?

No, seriously.  I buzz around on Saturdays and go to free (yes, FREE) wine tastings where I learn about wine, sip much wine, and meet great new pals who also like to go to wine tastings.  Who wouldn't want to be Saturday me?

In the end, though, I can only choose one.  It's 94+ degrees outside, and nothing tastes better right now than an exotic, citrus-infused white with a long finish.  This wine is so good that I go back for a second taste even though the reds have decimated my palate.

The flyer describes this wine as having "aromas of green apple, hawthorn, (and) white blossoms"  and it's only $10 a bottle.  This week's Wine of the Week winner, and not just because this is a terrific wine for hot weather but because this is simply a terrific wine all on its own:

2014 M. Chapoutier Cotes Du Rhone Blanc, a white wine from the Rhone region of France