Thursday, July 7, 2016

FARMER'S NON-MARKET

I decide to take a long walk/jog and finish at the weekly Farmer's Market.  I put money in my water bottle holder, fold up a plastic grocery bag into my back pocket, and start mentally drooling about ending my trek with veggies, veggies, and more very fresh veggies!

I can see the signs as I approach the area where the market is, a lawn tucked beside the historical society.  There are signs stuck into the ground for several yards, and I can almost taste the veggies I'm going to cook up later for dinner.

But, when I arrive at the fenced area, despite the dozens of signs, there is no Farmer's Market.  Not one single vendor has shown up.  Perhaps it is because of the July 4th weekend, but seriously, it's only July 2nd when I take this walk/jog.  To be frank, if people are having a barbecue this weekend, it makes perfect sense for the Farmer's Market to be here, especially if one is selling fresh corn on the cob.

Hiding my disappointment, I pretend that I am not here for the Farmer's Market but rather that this is my intended walk/jog route.  I turn to the left along the side of the historical society to see if the vendors are perhaps along this fence or, perhaps, in the large barn.

Again I am met with dozens of signs touting today's Farmer's Market, but no one is there.  Well, not exactly "no one."  Wandering around the lawn and side street are a half dozen people just like me: wide-eyed in disbelief that no fresh veggies will be had for the holiday weekend.

Oh, well.  In the end it is only partially my loss, but it is completely the loss of all of the vendors because I will never go to that "Farmer's Market" (Farmer's Non-Market?) again.  If these vendors, who count on us lowly consumers, cannot spare two hours to come to the Farmer's Market, then I cannot spare the $20-or-so dollars I often spend when I'm there.

The plastic bag in my pocket is still all folded up when I get home ten minutes later, still awaiting fresh produce that will never appear.  Screw you, Farmer's Market.  I get in my car and drive to Whole Foods, instead, where it's a farmer's market every damn day.