Tuesday, July 5, 2016

WATCHING THE CASH AND A FLOWER BONUS

I've finally switched back to an all-cash system after years and years of not watching my bank account.  I keep a certain amount in the checking account for regular bills like the utilities and dump the rest in a savings account, and, as I mentioned last month in this blog, I overdrew my checking account after paying off a loan and two credit cards without transferring money over.

To be honest, I just plain forgot.  Still a few blips to iron out.

My new cash-only system is working great, though.  So far I have been able to curb my impulse spending, and I've saved at least $50 a week on groceries.  It's amazing how empowering it is to bring home a receipt and, instead of filing it or cross-referencing it or just plain forgetting about it, I toss it into the recycle bin.

Grocery shopping today I go in with a strict list and some ballpark figures for spending.  I rejoice in some items that are less than I'd planned and balk at some items that are more than I am willing to spend.  I mean, I need one 40-watt light bulb, and I remember getting a package of them for about $1.79, so I budget $2.  When I see the only package of 40-watt bulbs starts at $4.99, I decide I can live without that bulb for a while longer.  It's for a decorative lamp, anyway.

I'm not better at the meat counter.  I don't mind paying extra for 93%-grade ground beef, but no way am I spending $15 on a small package of steak tips.  If I'm going to go into that territory, I'll go a few miles in any direction - I live within driving distance of four outstanding butcher shops.



I panic today, though.  I purposely leave the house with a finite amount of cash on me.  Oh, sure, I bring my debit card along, just in case; I'm not completely weaned off it yet.  But, I start seeing extras.  Fresh pita bread, still warm -- Gotta have it, which means hummus, which means red onion.  I am now veering $5 off my budget.  Fruit -- gotta have it, and forgot to budget for it.  There goes another $5.

 But, in the end, it's all okay.  I plan on spending $84.  I bring along $95.  I spend $71.80, which includes everything on my list, minus the light bulbs and the steak tips plus the extras and including a gift for myself: Flowers.  Okay, okay, so that means I've not quite perfected the fine art of saving money or curbing my impulse spending completely, but I'm a work in progress!