Monday, July 13, 2015

VITAMIN SUNNY-D



Today is gorgeous, beautiful, sunny, and way too warm.  I want to go outside and sit in the sun and read a book, soak up some natural vitamin D.  But, I really shouldn’t.

You see, in the past few days I’ve been at the beach and outside at pools.  I’ve been in the water, both beach and pools, and out in the wonderful summer sun, as well.  Yesterday’s pool trip cost me a little redness in the chest area where I didn’t sunscreen the suit top area as well as I should have after doing my customary twenty minutes in the sun unprotected.

Normally, this doesn’t bother me.  I mean, I have a few reddish spots but nothing is burned like when I was younger and just didn’t care.  I’m careful in the sun but not guiltless, and this slight sense of guilt is going to come back and kick me in the ass big-time tomorrow.

Tomorrow I have my annual physical.

My doctor has been good about this in the past, like two years ago when I was out in the sun so much that I’d tanned myself out by mid-July.  Hey, I had two weddings to attend as mother of the groom then six weeks later as mother of the bride.  I couldn’t look sickly, and I needed to melt my freckles into my complexion. 

I walked into my doctor’s office that year, and she suddenly looked at me seriously.  Here it comes, I figured, here comes the lecture about wearing sunscreen and keeping out of the sun and damaging my skin and giving myself skin cancer – yadda yadda yadda.

“Oh, I see you’ve been out in the sun,” she exclaimed, leveling her sternest look at me.

But, I was armed and ready.  “Yes,” I replied, “twenty minutes a day without sunscreen, when I can manage it, because natural vitamin D is good for the body.”

Woohoo, what a huge load of horseshit. 

Her response?  A huge grin crossed her face.  “Good for you!,” she said happily, and went about her business.  After my blood work came back, she sent me a letter that I no longer had any vitamin D deficiency, but that I actually had elevated levels of D.

Upon hearing this news, I vowed to give up the extra D vitamin I had been ingesting every morning.  After all, one shouldn’t give up anything natural, and the sun was and is in nature, so it all worked out.

As for tomorrow, who knows what that will bring.  I am just hoping to have normalcy in every facet so I can claim to be healthy and get myself back out in the sun.