Wednesday, July 15, 2015

TEACHING LIKE A MONKEY



Who says teachers have summers off?  That’s just bullshit, and teachers know it. 

Oh, sure, some teachers can relax all summer if they’re not back in classes, reworking curriculum, or desperately searching for ways to recertify and/or pass new state and federal regulations being added to our license requirements every time we sit down to have a bon-bon.

Just to be clear, I have had exactly one full week off so far.  Last week.  Yes, I’ve been out (technically) for eleven week (“business”) days, but so far I have:

·        Booked a December field trip so we wouldn’t lose the date (or field trip)
·        Reworked curriculum to match federal CORE standards (as opposed to our better Massachusetts state Frameworks)
·        Researched extensively the new SEI (Sheltered English Immersion) requirements
·        Researched extensively places and costs of where I can go to obtain this 45-hour additional license requirement (apparently nowhere, regardless of the costs, which range from $400 to over $2,000 for the seemingly phantom course)
·        Accepted that although I do not legally need to obtain my SEI until 2020 because I just recertified, I am going to do so for the good of the students entering my classroom in the fall who require SEI-certified instructors in order to be academically successful
·        Studied and organized parts of my curriculum in five different languages to be aligned with SEI standards
·        Railed at the idiots at the Massachusetts Department of Education (now DESE) for outlawing Bilingual Education in the first place
·        Discovered and studied an entire grammar curriculum that my former discipline mate was hoarding, hiding -- and ignoring
·        Reworked the reading level test we will now be required to give to align with MTSS (Massachusetts Tiered System of Support)
·        Tried to discover and understand exactly what the hell MTSS is, looks like, etc.
·        Madly tried to come up with an initial plan to put MTSS in place in September
·        Discovered that five district-required tests in my subject at my grade-level need to be tweaked and/or completely reworked
·        Gone through every single folder, every single supplemental text (of which there are about thirty), and every single worksheet for every single literature selection I will be teaching this coming school year
·        Fielded and responded to multiple school-related emails

This is only a partial list, but it is relatively comprehensive without getting into the minutiae.  Yup, this list is not even close to the minutiae. 
 
Am I complaining?  A little bit. 

You see, this summer is supposed to be my summer to travel and to write, and by write, I mean pay attention to the novels I have started writing and maybe, just maybe, finish one or two or three or four of them and send them off to agents or publishers.

I am also complaining because people say things to me like, “Oh, you’re a teacher.  It must be nice to have the whole summer off.”  Really?  Because I WOULDN’T KNOW. 

Just for the record, my summer is unpaid.  I’m not on vacation; I’m on uncompensated leave.  The work I’m doing right now?  Pro bono, baby.  You’re paying a teacher through your taxes?  You are definitely getting your money’s worth.  (P.S.  I’m a taxpayer, too, so zip it.)

I’m going to keep plugging away, though, because no matter how many times people tell me this is not my circus and these are not my monkeys, I understand completely that I am IN the circus and I AM one of the monkeys.  Come September, the Big Top will go up, my cage door will open, and, like the little chimps at the circus all dressed up in finery, I’ll put on my best show of jumping through hoops and hanging from rafters.