Monday, July 20, 2015

ACK, HUMIDITY!



Ack!  Humidity!  Sweat!  Frizzy hair!

After the winter we’ve had – record snowfall, wretched weather – I should be jumping for joy at the summer temperatures and sunshine that beats down onto my concrete patio.  Not one to waste a perfectly fine day, I grab my book and head outside to read and soak up some rays.

Good idea, right?

Within minutes the high humidity has sweat leaking from every pore in my body.  Oh, yeah, isn’t this fun?  I manage about an hour in the direct sun, roasting front and back and totally soaking through my shorts and bathing suit top.  I won’t give up easily.  I move to the shade so I can finish the last three chapters of the book I am reading.  Ah, fresh air … sort of.

I stay outside for a total of two hours.  The only thing saving my hair from looking like Bozo the Clown is the mere fact that I have perspired so profusely that my scalp is drenched.  I don’t leave the air conditioners on inside the house while I am outside, but I do have the common sense to leave the windows closed.  When I retreat to the shade of the living room, it is still twenty degrees cooler than where I’ve been.

Tomorrow will probably be a beach day, though I’m surely insane for it since the temperatures are expected to reach 94 or better.  I’d be safer and smarter to sit in a semi-full bathtub of ice cubes than to venture outside on such a day, but I’ve never been one for rule-following and I’ve worn the dunce cap more than once (or twice or dozens of times).

 Remember these words when I complain about being salty and sandy and sunburnt.

No – Remember these words when I complain about another hard, cold, snowy winter.  Ack!  Humidity!  Sweat!  Frizzy Hair!  Bring it.