Sunday, July 26, 2015

SNAPPED WIRE




My neighbor is moving.  This makes me sad because, even though she lives in the front house (bottom floor), she shares my driveway. 

She parks in a way that is convenient for me to move cars in and out of the driveway without even having to rearrange vehicles and do the whole back-out-into-the-street routine; I can just drive over into her side and swerve back (or my son can) to manage two cars on my side to the one on hers.

She also shovels and survived the 100+ inches of snow we got this year.  She was quite cheerful about this last winter, but I’m sure that being from Virginia, this totally sucked for her. “Welcome to New England and the great continuous blizzard!”  Worst of all, the landlord’s snowblower broke trying to do her side after clearing out mine.  Even though we had to do some mad shoveling, it was late spring before she saw the upper half of her side of the collective driveway.

She’s quiet, too.  I don’t think I ever heard her throwing a party, and her infrequent guests never keep the neighborhood up late at night. 

Today, though, her move makes me sad for a different reason.

I arrive home just as the moving guys are ready to fly the coop.  As I get out of my car, they are readying to close the back truck doors when my passenger notices there is a wire down.  The idiot moving truck has ripped a wire out of the pole that connects to my townhouse.  The wire, hanging off my house, snakes along my walkway, over the small patch of grass, and out along the driveway into the street.

This sucks for multiple reasons, the first being it could my power or, worse, my internet.  Turns out my half of the house is okay.  This also connect to the townhouse next door.  I don’t know if everything is on over there, but the wire is completely snapped, and the moving dudes do not appear any worse for the wear, so it’s obviously not a live wire.  It’s probably my old Verizon landline.

But still.  These guys aren’t going anywhere.  I immediately call the landlady, who is in no mood to deal with these numbskulls.  After a few exchanges from me, I leave her to yell at the guys and try and reach their supervisor. (An advantage to renting, for sure.)

Later I go out and put some duct tape on the wire, which snakes for yards and yards and yards, up against my side of the house where it is hanging down in front of my living room windows.  It’s supposed to be stormy for the next few days.  I’ll be damned if that frigging loose wire is going to be flapping against my house and keeping me awake at night.

Hopefully, someone will actually fix this and not leave it hanging around being a disgusting eyesore and generally pissing me off.  I hate being pissed off.  I’m sad enough about the neighbor moving, and now I’m aggravated that her move is causing me problems.

Oh, well.  I guess this is payback for shoveling snow onto her side of the driveway when it got too high to put anywhere else.  My bad.  (Smirk.)