Friday, July 3, 2015

PAYING FOR CABLE

I'm getting tired of having to pay for absolutely everything.

Remember when television was free except for the electricity?  Cable arrived at some crazy-low monthly fee, and people jumped on board to access the movie channels.  Now, cable is mandatory for TV reception of any magnitude, and my cable bill is the same as a monthly mortgage payment.

I don't watch a lot of television, but I am somewhat fond of HGTV.  Well, I used to be, but I don't care much for it anymore.  It shows the same three or four shows over and over and over.  I started to wonder what happened to my favorite HGTV shows, like Income Property, Yard Crashers, and Property Virgins.

Turns out they've gone the way of radio stations ala Sirrius satellite network.  I can only access them via DIY network, which is only on the living room television.  This would be great except I usually watch these types of shows when I'm working on something else, like school work or the blog, which means I'm either in the kitchen or at my desk upstairs.  Both rooms have cable TV, but neither room has a master cable box -- that's in the living room.

Whatever happened to the days when television wanted us to watch it instead of the other way around? 

I give up.  I surrender!  Tonight the white flag comes out, and I am working in the living room.  I need some Scott McGillvray time, so I set up my laptop on the coffee table, park my ass on the comfy chair, and give myself back agida trying to get work done while enjoying a show. 

I guess I really do have to pay for everything, and, if my current spinal discomfort is any indication, I'll be paying for my television viewing tomorrow, as well.