Sunday, July 20, 2014

THE (TV) WATCHABLES

Okay, I'm tired. 

In the last week I've gone to lunch in Boston, kayaked Lake Pawtuckaway, attended a stellar pool party, and run a 5k through mud obstacles.  I'm not as young as I once was, folks. 

I'm exhausted.

However, I do find time and energy to watch "The Peacekeeper Wars," the post-series movie for the television show Farscape.  Don't tell me how it ends -- Part 2 is on tonight.

I don't watch a lot of television anymore.  Part of it is because I'm too busy (see above) and part of it is because I'm too tired to bother with it (see above).  Mostly I don't watch television because nothing is on but crap.  Sure, sure, you're all going to regale me with your favorite show and why I should watch it.  I'm not completely clueless.  I try and follow the latest and greatest TV talk amongst pals, and my Facebook friends have fascinating conversations about different shows.  I have friends who are in the  television/acting business, or friends of friends who are in the business.  I respect everyone's interest in television, I really do; it's just that most television doesn't suit my tastes any longer.

Any shows I watch are cable (non-major network) station shows.  I recently watched the Revolutionary spy show Turn, and I like Wicked Tuna and HGTV reality shows like Income Property.  Sometimes if I need a dose of campy fun, I might catch an old episode of Say Yes to the Dress, though the Atlanta version is a little over the top for my likes.

And yet Farscape is about as over the top as television could get, as campy as anything else ever on TV.  It's like Dr. Who on hallucinogens.  So Sunday I will do my best to catch part 2 of the wrap-up movie, and it had better not have a cheesy ending because I'm exhausted, and I want to make sure that my TV viewing time truly is time well spent.