Wednesday, July 2, 2014

COMFY ALL NIGHT

Windows open.  Windows closed.  Windows open.  Windows closed.

It's that wonderful time of the summer I call Musical Windows, when it's a crapshoot as to fresh air vs. recirculated air conditioned air throughout my house.

Today is one of those days when the heat index and humidity levels are both very high.  I have to use the car air conditioner all the way home from Lowell, where I have gone to watch the USA vs. Belgium World Cup soccer match on a larger television screen. 

When I arrive home after 7:00 p.m., it's really hot and the air is still thick.  Windows down; air conditioners on.

I sit outside reading for a while, and a really nice breeze is kicking up.  Windows open; air conditioners off.

Just to be safe, I check the weather forecast: Only 70 for a low tonight.  That's too hot to sleep with the thickness of the air.  Windows closed; air conditioners on. 

This strange ritual continues until I remind myself that all the air conditioners and many of the lights stayed on all the previous night when I suddenly felt like I should lie down ... right away.  (Thanks, tequila and hot salsa.) 

In the end, one air conditioner will stay on for the night.  It's easier to sleep when I'm cool than when I'm saving electricity by sweating everywhere.  Besides, it's an energy saver model air conditioner.  This means I can stay cool and be cool all at the same time.

I hear Wednesday is supposed to be in the mid-90's.  Bring it!  As long as the power stays on, I'm totally prepared... and comfy.