Thursday, July 31, 2014

RELIVING THE ADVENTURE



My old computer's memory is just about spent, so it is time to get rid of some of the paperwork I have clogging up the techno-file folders.  The lion's share of this computerized filing system belongs to the blog and the back-log of blog entries written and published but never stored anywhere.  I need to finish transferring this stuff to Cyber-Land, and I'm months and months behind in doing so.

While revisiting the madcap adventures I've had since January, it also appears to be a torturous exercise in futility and despair.  You see, these recent files hold the saga of my thesis being lost.  The first time it is lost, it isn't really a big deal.  My first reader, who is also my thesis advisor, hands me the edits and instructs me on how to proceed, albeit two weeks later than she receives the manuscript. 

The problem with this whole proceeding thing?  She fails to print out, edit, or even read the last 40 pages.  Seriously.  More than 31% of my entire thesis is missing … and my advisor doesn't even notice.  That tells me two things: Either my thesis is so good that she doesn't even realize she's 40 pages short in her reading; or, more probable, she didn't read bullshit.

My second reader, the one who was supposed to have it all read and set to go, the one holding up the entire production --  He doesn't even bother to read it.  Sure, my thesis arrived in plenty of time, two weeks to spare before the deadline, but he emails me back that there is no way he is going to read my thesis in 24 hours, as if that is MY fault.  Dude had two weeks.  Whose frigging fault is this?  More bullshit.

Printing out these tales of woe this afternoon while deleting computer files, I start reliving the nightmarish end of my last graduate school semester.  It was horrible; it was awful; it just about sent me to the insane asylum.

However, there are some rays of goodness in it all.  In between the ranting and the spitting and the pitch forks, I get to spend time with two wonderful women with whom I had, before this partnership, a casual, see-you-at-grad-school relationship.  Thanks to the power of good timing and bad advising, these two wonderful women rally around me and talk me off the ledge.  Okay, they talk me off the ledge more than once.  Truly, we rally around each other and talk each other off many ledges in the course of our directed study thesis writing fiascoes.  

Today while sorting and pitching, I re-read the tales of the coffee houses we invade, our preparation to present our theses and writing and research, our half-drunken practice session where I cannot decide what to read and suddenly open to the most gut-wrenching part of my thesis, and soon we are all bawling our eyes out.  I re-encounter the presentation and the dinner afterward, hanging around Salem Beer Works, and the rejoicing that goes on because we all presented, all three of us, even though only one of us has actually finished and had her thesis approved at the time.

Since then I've received my transcript and received my degree.  It doesn't un-sour the bitterness I hold against my second reader, an asshole of a creative writing teacher who is supposedly an acclaimed poet but couldn't "verse" himself out of a blank page if it bit his left ass cheek off and spit it back at him with completely written poetry carved into the buttock. 

The one thing reliving this adventure via my old blog entries has done, though, is remind me just how deeply I miss my thesis mates.  One has been very busy with her own family this summer, and the other has been off in Germany trying to have a vacation and finish her thesis all at the same time.  I've let my writing go a bit without their support.  Honestly, I've kept blogging and doing a little writing on the side, but anything thesis related has been off limits.  Today is the first day I've been able to open, let alone read, any of my thesis since I filed it in May.  I needed to walk away from it for nearly ten weeks, it was that horrifying an end to the entire experience.

When my writing mates can reconvene, we will get back together and do something wonderful.  A couple of the times when we got together, we couldn't write, physically were unable to, and once we even played with clay-like foam because writing our theses had reduced us to gibberish.  We were like newly-broken mental patients with every symptom except the drooling.  Okay, maybe I drooled a little.  I was reasonably rabid toward the end.

I wish my memory were as easily erased as my computer's.  I wish I could edit the last few weeks of grad school to be more satisfying and magnificent, to be full of the glee and cheer graduates are supposed to feel, to be able to walk across the stage instead of being told I'd need special dispensation because Asshole-Poet-Boy refused to do his job and because my advisor, though I respect her, claimed to have read my entire thesis when she really only saw 67% of it.

Whatever.  I'm over it now.  My degree is in my hot little hands and my thesis has been jettisoned to the techno-cloud.  The next time my writing mates call, I'll arrive with a fresh notebook and a new set of pens.  I have faced the files, and they didn't hurt.  Well, not much, anyway.  Like yanking a bandaid off without a second thought -- a quick intake of breath, a stabbing pain, but then instant recovery. 

I'm ready, ladies.  Text me; I'm truly ready.