Sunday, November 4, 2018

SUN FOR A MOMENT; IT'S ANOTHER DAMN MIRACLE

Holy crap, two miracles in one week.

First of all, last Saturday I get my gas turned back on in the middle of a pounding rain Nor'Easter.  That's definitely Miracle Numero Uno.  It's also slightly ironic that my first order of business is taking a long, hot shower considering that...

It has been raining pretty much non-stop for two or three weeks now.  Truly.

Every autumn I go out and take pictures of the fabulous birch and maple tree leaves all colorful and fabulous against the crisp blue sky.  But, no such luck this year because once the colors turn and start toward peak, it stays gray and even rains all the time.  ALL the time, I mean, as in day after day after day after day.  Last night it rained so hard and so powerfully and so forcefully that the noise actually prevented me from sleeping.  It is annoying and disheartening and truly depressing because there has been no real daylight forever.  Now I'm just pissy and disgusted and quite tired of being perpetually clammy.

Today is also the day we go into Boston for the bar crawl to raise money for Boston Children's Hospital.  We don't know how to dress: Will the rain continue?  Will it get humid?  Do we need sunglasses (wishful thinking)?  Do we need rain boots or winter boots?  How many layers of clothing should we wear?  Of course, the rain stops but then the wind kicks in.

Quite frankly, this weather sucks.

However, for a brief moment, for about fifteen short minutes, the sun comes out -- Miracle #2.  We are all nearly blinded by the burst of light.  It doesn't last long, but we get a chance to remember what it looks like and feels like to watch the sun hit the tall buildings and race along the roads.

Quick, take a picture! I tell myself.  By the time my phone is ready and I've set up a shot, the sun is starting to fade.  Although the rain hasn't returned (yet), the wind is blowing trees, and branches fall over the streets, making the  the semi-flooded ride over and through the giant limbs just one more inconvenience.

I quickly snap a few photos before the grayness descends again, reminding me that it's autumn here in New England, and that hurricane season tends to last longer up here and has no concern about colored leaves or the peepers who love the season, and that the weather has zero concern for miracles.