Friday, November 16, 2018

FINDING THE CANDLES

I have been frustrated lately trying to find Advent candles for the coming holiday season.  I kick myself for waiting so long.  I've been in this predicament before then end up using old candles that I already burned the prior year ... or even before that.

While shopping with my sister, I look in the department stores and craft stores for candles.  I cannot find the colors that I need: four blue tapers, or three purple tapers plus one pink taper.  Even worse is the nagging feeling that I had this same conversation with myself a few months ago while shopping at The Christmas Tree Store.

Yes, I could swear that I'd already bought the Advent candles.  I honestly remember saying to myself, "This year I'm going to buy them as soon as I see them," and following through on that in July or August.  However, the candles are not with the items from that bag nor are they with the Christmas stuff.

As you all know from my endless rantings, the Gas Crisis hit without warning on September 13th, and the Powers That Be cut off all electricity to two towns and a major city for three days in addition to shutting off all gas service (much of which still remains off).  The first night in the dark was spent at a friend's house.  The second night in the dark was spent in my own house with flashlights.  The third night, once we were certain we weren't going to blow up, was spent with barbecues, open-pit fires, and candles illuminating the blackness.

Candles... Oh, crap.  Did I burn the candles out of desperation?  I did go through a lot of them during the dusk and late into the evening then again the following morning before the lights came back on.  No, no, no; I wouldn't burn the Advent candles.  I'm certain I would never get that desperate.  I guess I never did buy them after all.

When the weekend is over and I still, after four or five stores, cannot find Advent-colored candles for sale, I decide to do what any NORMAL person would've done in the first place: I look in the small cabinet that houses all of the candle holders, votive burners, and all of the tapers, votive candles, and tea lights in my possession.

I mean, why on Earth would I put the Advent candles where they actually belong?  Who does THAT kind of stupid stuff?

Tucked right on top of the other candles, safe and sound (yes, right where they belong), I find four brand new, still-shrink-wrapped, absolutely flawless taper candles: three purple and one pink; the Advent candles that I bought during the summer when I saw them for sale (and on sale) at The Tree.

Apparently being organized is not my strong suit, but I really am trying.  Eventually I might catch on.