Thursday, July 26, 2018

TUTU FOR YOU (OR ME)

I know I've posted about the Muddy Princess 5k already, and it's no secret that I'm now considered a Mud Veteran since this is Fun Mud Run #3.  But, it's the first mud run where I'm totally ready. I can spot the first-timers a mile away: new/clean/bright sneakers, long sleeves, cotton shirts, hair loose, white socks.  The list goes on. 

The main thing I've learned doing these activities is that the clothing needs to be as wet-repellent as possible.  For this I find polyester/nylon clothing.  I start with an old one-piece bathing suit, which will prevent mud and muck from running up and down my back and into my drawers.  Also, it dries relatively easily.  I layer over this an old polyester-nylon shirt from a different 5k.  Even though it's a little chilly out (high 60's and rainy), the long sleeves will slog me down and keep me wet.  Filthy arms will dry quicker.  Muddier, yes, but definitely more rapidly.

I have a pair of workout/yoga pants that are nylon knit as opposed to cotton knit.  They're more like swimsuit than gym gear, so some of the mud might slop off instead of being absorbed like paper towel into the fabric.  I top this all off with very old, beat up water shoes that I use for kayaking.  Yup.  Water shoes, not sneakers.  This means that the water will ooze out of my shoes rather than absorb into the shoes.  It also means that I can empty out pebbles and other crap as it builds up without having to stop to untie, empty, and retie.

I do wear cotton socks because they're a great color and have been mudding with me before.  Perhaps they'll help keep my mud shoes on my feet, too.  This is all wonderful, and I am an array of bright colors and neons.  I add cheap cubic zirconia earrings, pull back my hair (and spray it down), and the look is damn-near perfect.

Except that I remember the last two times I did this, my baby-handles showed up in all the photos because of the clinging wet fabric of my shirt.  So, I decide to make a tutu to cover my not-so-flat abs.  I check my fabric supply and discover some old white netting and a slew of ribbons and other decorative extras. 

I search the Internet for no-sew tutu directions and within minutes I am on the road to an ab-covering outfit that fits into my vision. I am a little bit short on netting, so I cut up two other nylon shirts, add the tatters into the design, and ... voila!  Tutu!

The only two problems I encounter: the muddy tutu starts to sink off of my hips, so I have to tie it into place; my tutu snags a little bit on the log at the top of the rope climb.  I am pre-warned by spotters at various obstacles to BEWARE THE TUTU, and I get through everything unscathed and pretty much untangled. 

When I get home, I rinse everything out (except the tutu), throw it all in the wash, and discover that the shirt, pants, bathing suit, and socks will all live to see another race.  The water shoes get a slef-rinse in downpours outside and dry nicely when the sun reappears.

As for the tutu, I suspect that this will be its one-time usage.  I could wash it except for the decorative baubles that I added -- they might come loose and clog the washer or dryer.  It's okay, though, the tutu does its job (hiding my midsection), doesn't need to be sewn (except for the elastic, which I sew together rather than tie), and doesn't ever need to be re-worn.