Monday, July 16, 2018

HOW AND WHY WALKING IS GOING TO KILL ME

The temperature is hovering near ninety, and the dew point is somewhere around seventy-two percent.  With full sun shining, even at 8:40 in the morning, I head out for a walk.

My usual route is to head uphill for about a mile, circle around a nearby prep school campus, then come back either downhill the whole mile home or take a side route that has some downhill and some straight roads, too.  Either way, my downhill is usually the jogging portion of my outside experience.

Not today.  No way.

Thank goodness I remember to bring along a bandana because my face is dripping sweat.  Well, it can't truly be sweat because my pace is nothing strenuous.  I'm pacing around a seventeen-minute mile.  Elderly and invalids are lapping me.  The humidity, however, is enough to give me apoplexy.

Somehow when I started this jaunt, I thought it was a good idea.  I should've walked straight past the train station, turned around, and come back.  What was I thinking adding this long hill to my trek?  Oh, yeah: it's my most often traveled route.  It's my favorite route because the worst of it is over at the beginning, and this route has challenge to it. Today any walk is a challenge.  With this heat and this humidity, walking to the street to take out the garbage is a challenge.

If you happen to drive anywhere near my house and you spot a puddle with a yellow bandana floating around in it, call my family.  In true Wicked Witch fashion, I've melted.