Saturday, July 14, 2018

THE LOTTERY THRILL WILL KILL ME

Speaking of luck (since yesterday was Friday the 13th), I love my friends and family, but they have got to stop giving me lottery tickets for gifts.  Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE lottery tickets!  But, I never win.  Ever.

I've come close a couple of times.  I once hit Megabucks for all but one number .... back when that prize was a mere $400.  My landlord followed me to the store and took the cash right out of my hands.  So much for that windfall.

Oh, sure, I go through the motions.  I uncover the magical winning numbers first.  Then, I scrape off the overlay to reveal what wonderful prizes I might win.  I usually start with the big prizes, knowing I won't be winning any of those.  A million dollars!!!!!  Ohhhhh, too bad, so sad.  Then, I work my way down to the $1 prize.

Here's the thing, though.  If it's a $5 ticket, a $10 ticket, or more, it should be a guaranteed winner.  Seriously.  The damn lottery can't spare a lousy $1 on every $10 ticket?!

That's just bullshit.

Anyway, if people want to keep giving me lottery tickets, I am happy to scratch the tickets to reveal my big non-winnings.  I am just telling you people, I don't win.  I never win.  Never, ever.  You could have a stack of 99.99999% winners, and I'd pick the one and only losing lottery ticket in the bunch.

So, in a holdover from yesterday's potential for bad luck, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I enjoy all the lottery tickets that I get over the course of the holidays -- birthdays, Christmas, Saturdays -- and I still have that eternal flicker of hope, "Maybe this time.  Maybe I'll win!"

I know I won't though, and it's okay.  I'm quite certain at this point the thrill would probably kill me.