Thursday, July 19, 2018

CRISPY SUNBURN

Lately I seem to have developed an immunity to sunscreen.

No matter what SPF, no matter what brand, no matter how many times I apply, reapply, and swaddle myself, I still burn.  Thankfully, though, I have been only semi-burning.  I'm at medium rather than well done, for the most part, but I still look too silly to wear sandals or shorts for a few days. 

My red markings scream "TOURIST!!!!" but I truly am a native.

Usually I go northeast to the beaches, but my friend suggests that we go southeast a little ways from her house, and we find ourselves at Nahant.  I've only been to Nahant once before, mostly because it's not in my neighborhood and because some of my students will probably be there.  I don't want to run into them any more than they want to see my old self in a bathing suit. 

Today, though, Nahant is beautiful: Not too crowded, long expanse of beach, noisy waves spurred by an off-shore storm.  I put sunscreen on before leaving the house, and I reapply when we get there.  In the four hours that we sit on the beach, I reapply sunscreen twice more.  I even put a sweatshirt over my legs and turn away from the sun.

It's not until hours later and after my shower that the heat comes on all over my skin.  My arms are lightly crisp, my face has weird patches of redness, my legs are slightly overdone, and my feet are reasonably crispy. 

What am I supposed to do?  Wear a hazmat suit to the beach?  I am going to have to start wearing SPF1000 and I'll have to reapply constantly.  I'll put sunscreen on so often that I'll go through an entire bottle of it at the beach in one sitting.

Seriously, though, it's a glorious day at the beach, the waves sound wonderful, the company is fabulous, and I am so relaxed that I feel as if I've just had a long massage and meditated all at the same time.  Except for the amazing red glow, I'd do it again tomorrow, but I think I'll have to put the beach off until the burn settles down or until they invent sunscreen so powerful that my lobsteresque skin turns a normal tan-ish color again.