Sunday, July 15, 2018

GURGLING AND CONDITIONING

My air conditioner gurgles. Yes, it does.  It sometimes sounds like it's gargling or has wet belches.

Let me be fair, though; it has been as humid as pea soup here for most of the last two weeks.  There is more water hanging in the air than most people have in their pools.  Step outside and, regardless of the air temperature, the air saturation point is so bad that water instantly condenses on everyone and everything.

I suppose this includes my poor air conditioner.  It is wringing water out of the air as fast as it can, sending it through the condenser with a huge whooooooshing sound, and keeping my bedroom cool and me sane.

The first night it started the gurgling, I couldn't sleep with the noise.  Not immediately.  But, once I got under the covers (and added a quilt), it didn't matter that it was still 84 degrees at one in the morning outside; it was a cool sixty-something and dry in my room.  Comfort overrode noise, and I slept like a weary dog.

A brief respite of cool nights (three of them, I think -- I cannot remember because my brain is soggy from another round of heat prostration) with the fan gave my air conditioner a break, but now it's cranking out that cool, dry air again.  And thank goodness for it.

Gurgle all you want, air conditioner.  As long as you're spitting that humidity back into the outside air and not the inside air, we're going to get along just fine for the next several weeks.