Saturday, July 7, 2018

RITE AID - WRONG AID

I need to buy a couple of things at the store, and I also need stamps.  I decide to go somewhere I don't usually go because I have a coupon for 25% off of my entire order -- I go to Rite Aid. 

I'm all excited imagining my great savings when I get stuff I need, like a bottle of lotion, maybe some sunscreen, tape for my empty dispenser, soap, maybe even some small, travel-sized items for my upcoming quick trip down South.

I get to the store and wander around.

Hmmmmm. Not much of a selection.   Tiny display of shampoo, and they all have conditioner built in.  Nope, that's not what the family needs.  Lotion selection is pathetic.  I'm not a fan of Jergens, but if I were, Rite Aid could be its pimp. 

Aisle after aisle is a bust.  What I do realize is that this Rite Aid, like its out-of-state counterparts, is allowed to sell wine and beer.  Not even sure this is legal here in Massachusetts with all of our stupid Blue Laws. 

This is when it dawns on me that this Rite Aid isn't actually a pharmacy store at all. It's a liquor supplier for the kids from the college next door who can walk here from their dorms or the athletic fields.

I buy one roll of tape (on sale for 88 cents) and then ask for stamps.  "Sure," the cashier says, "but we sell them in packs of four."

Four?  Who the hell only needs four stamps?  I throw in a couple of four-packs of stamps, hold on to my 25% off coupon (only applies to the tape, anyway), and pay.  When I get to my car, I look at the receipt. 

RITE AID CHARGED ME $2.80 FOR $2.00 WORTH OF STAMPS. What the hell.  And I got rooked several times because I bought a couple of these packages. 

Is this even legal?  Can a stamp "dealer" overcharge for stamps by making me pay 140% of the actual price?  Damnitall.  By the time I figure this out, I'm already late in mailing the items, so I stick the stamps on and consider myself schooled.

So much for making a killing at Rite Aid with my coupon.  Instead, I got a free financial proctal exam.  Anyone want a Rite Aid coupon?  I'm NEVER going back.