Sunday, May 29, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK - 2014 PREDATOR ZINFANDEL

It dawns on me today that I should probably be posting on Sundays the results of my wine tastings on Saturdays.  So, folks, welcome to today's maiden publication of Wine of the Week.

At todays' tasting I get to try nothing but zinfandels, and they're pouring them and serving the zins along with some appetizers at the store. The highlights are, unfortunately, exactly like last week's tasting; every bottle is a WINNER.

The 2014 Federalist Zinfandel is one of my faves, anyway.  It's an all-around decent bottle of red wine and a good grab if you're going anywhere with anyone who likes reds.  The 2014 Cline Ancient Vines is fruity and light, and it's a very drinkable wine, whether you pair it with food or not. 

The 2013 Brazin zinfandel is fruity but not so light.  It's bold and calls for cheese.  Klinker (2013) is not a klunker, and its peppery taste would also be good with food, maybe something like a decent steak.  Any one of these wines, along with a few others I taste, could be coming home with me today.  I try them, then I try a couple of them again just to be sure.

While I'm debating the decision, another round of hamburger sliders comes off the grill, and I decide it would only be polite to try one.  This is when I have a brainstorm.  One of the zinfandels smells like smoky bacon and had a distinct taste of barbecue. 

Aha!  Let's try them together!!!!

Okay, so this is not MY brainstorm, but rather the brainstorm of the wine store.  I take a bite of the barbecued burger then a sip of the smoky bacony zin.

A-FREAKIN-MAZING.

Folks, the first one of you who invites me to have a cook-out will be the lucky recipient of a bottle of 2014 Predator Zinfandel, and I promise you, it's a wine you are not likely to forget.  It's this week's pick in my (hopefully) Sunday wine blog.