Sunday, May 22, 2016

STINKY SPRING

Oh, how I love the smell of Spring!

Today I attack the patio: sweep it, clean the furniture, arrange everything.  It is a battle of me against bird and worm poop, which covers pretty much everything.  Twigs and pollen and tree dander stick to the ground, and it takes two brooms to complete the job.  I sweep all the stuff into a pile and shovel it into bags to dump in the woods across the street.

Worse than the crap is the permeating smell of pee.  Worm pee.  The entire outdoors smells like a giant dirty litter box.  Breathe in the fresh air and get a mouthful of ammonia-tinged odor.  Even after I wash everything down, sweep as well as I can, and spray the area with cleaner, the overwhelming stench of worm urine remains.

The weather this spring is so unpredictable that everything blooms early then suffers in the overnight frosts.  My plants are dying off, weeds are growing heartily, and the lilacs last for all of a millisecond.  But the worms?  They just keep on keeping on, dropping from trees but mostly pooping from trees.  Pooping and peeing.

And man, does it stink.

I do love the smell of Spring, for the most part, when it smells like spring.  I just wish the plants' blossoms would last as long as the worm poop does.  Spring sure would smell better if it smelled more like a garden and less like a toilet.