Tuesday, May 17, 2016

DISARMING WINDOWS UPGRADE

Windows 10 hijacks my laptop and attempts to install itself while I fold laundry. 

First of all, I don't want Windows 10.  Second of all, this is an old laptop.  I'm not even sure it can handle Windows 10, so I panic.  I panic big time.

I try disarming the install, but I don't even know how it started itself, so I don't know how to halt it.  I click buttons, I press esc five times, and I even press control + alt + delete.

No luck.

Eventually I manage to shut the whole laptop down with a finger pressed on the power button for what seems like an eternity.  When I turn the computer back on, the install has disappeared.  It's like the damn thing never even happened.

Almost twenty-four hours later, after several stints at the computer, I turn it on for maybe the third time since the phantom install attempt.  It's happening again.  The computer demands that I pick an install date and time.  There is no way out.

This time I show it to my son, just to make sure that I'm not completely insane.  He is as perplexed as am I.   There seems to be no way to stop it, no exit strategy, no kill switch, no disarming it.  The laptop is possessed.  I turn the computer off again by leaning hard on the power button.

Damn you, Windows 10.  If only you could get into government computers so easily and take over their minds.  Perhaps you could automatically do my online shopping for me, send emails, post grades, pay my bills.

 Until you do, though, I will fight you tooth and nail from taking over my computer!  I shall prevail!!!! I mean ... I will stave off the attack until I finally succumb to modern technology.  Yes, eventually my own computer will drag me, kicking and screaming, into the current communication age as it truly is smarter than I am.