Sunday, May 8, 2016

A ROSE IS JUST A ROSE

The Kentucky Derby, also known as the Run for the Roses, fuels a weekend of rose (insert your own accent mark because the f*****g computer won't cooperate no matter how hard I try) tastings.  I don't need another rose.  I have a rose already plus a white zinfandel.  Actually, I shouldn't be buying wine at all.  I have several bottles backed up plus lots of prosecco.

 I should be deeply ashamed of myself. And yet ... a rose comes home with me, anyway.  (And another prosecco, I might add.)

I know, I know.  I sound like I have a problem, but, truly, I sip wine, I share wine, I even cook with wine.  I'm like the Frugal Gourmet!  Besides, red wine is supposed to be good for me, right?  Red wine and dark chocolate.  I should be the healthiest person on the planet by now.

So, I have my rose wine and I make myself an impromptu hat (which I forget to put on in all the excitement), and I pick my horses.  Of course I choose Nyquist for his name and NHL connection, but so does everyone else, so I go with my back-up choices:  Tom's Ready, My Man Sam, and Mo Tom.  For a while, one of them is even in the running, but, in the end, it's a damn good thing I didn't put any money on the race.

It's all right, though, because I still have half a bottle of lovely rose ... plus some back up bottles.  The race may be over, but the party certainly is not.  Happy Kentucky Derby Day (Saturday) and Mothers Day (Sunday).  Cheers!