Monday, October 29, 2012

SANDY'S A-KNOCKIN'

Supposedly we are getting a big storm.  We've heard this before.  All hype and no "Cripe!"; All chat and no splat; All drama and no trauma; All jack and no shit. I don't know what to believe anymore.  It's like this storm has turned into the election: Either Sandy or the local radar is full of crap.

Just in case, I do have food here and I did make extra ice.  I did bring the candles and extra candle holders up from the basement.  I did move some boxes away from the only leaky wall downstairs, too.  I have clean laundry, reading material, and flashlights strategically located for quick retrieval.  Both cars are facing out, and hopefully the fence and the neighbors' cars will break any falling branches from the tree overhanging the driveway.  The liquor cabinet is stocked in case I need it, for medicinal purposes, of course.

And now, we sit. 

At the time of this writing, there is no rain; there is no wind.  As a matter of fact, it is eerily silent. I haven't heard a train nor car go by in hours.  There is no work to go to because school has long-since been cancelled for the day. 

With any luck at all, we'll all be laughing about this tomorrow.  Maybe I'll be able to drive to the coast and get some pictures - Last time this happened, giant clams washed up all over North Beach like hundreds of alien pods covered with brown lasagne-like seaweed.  Until then, hunker down, cover your valuables, and pray the Internet isn't down too long.

See you on the other side (of the hurricane - Let's not get too melodramatic).