Tuesday, October 23, 2012

FETA CHEESE AND COFFEE



Feta Cheese.  How can something taste so good and smell so gross?  I have some feta cheese open in my kitchen, and I'm eating it by the chunk (if you can call the crumbly blobs of it chunks) while I run around doing chores.  Suddenly I head back into the kitchen and realize it smells like dirty gym socks.  Feta Cheese.  I just don't understand it.  How can the nose and taste buds have such a serious disconnect over this?

I suppose it's a lot like coffee.  Coffee smells good; coffee smells great; coffee smells fantastic.  But coffee tastes horrible; coffee tastes hideous; coffee tastes like dirty gym socks would if one were to be stuffed into your mouth.  When I worked at Dunkin Donuts (not nearly as glamorous as the ads make it seem, believe me), I tried coffee every way one could possibly take it: black, with sugar, with cream, with cream and sugar, half and half (that's half coffee half milk), and then there is the infamous black light half and half max, which isn't some weird sixties light trick but rather half high-test, half decaf, half cream, with extra sugar.  Okay, I just made up that name, but I used to have a regular patron at DD who ordered his coffee that way.  Seriously - why bother with the coffee, man?  Just tear open a can of condensed milk and be done with it.

Feta cheese, though, I'll bet would be good on just about anything:  Rice Krispies and feta with milk, peanut butter and jelly with feta, spaghetti and meatballs with feta (which actually sounds really, really good and is probably already a staple in more progressive homes than mine), onion rings and feta (yup, another one to try), and maybe even feta frozen yogurt.

I know feta cheese looks a lot like colicky baby vomit and smells like it, too, but feta cheese is delicious.  It's just one of those foods that no one would try unless forcefully coerced.  Like pig's feet and tripe and brains and liver and Shit on a Shingle.  (Okay, I will admit to having a bit of an affinity for SOS growing up when my WWII-vet dad would wax poetic about mess hall food and force us all to eat it like it was Delmonico steak.)

Hmmmm, maybe, just maybe, if I put feta in the coffee, I might like coffee.  Feta may well be the key to the universe as we know it.  Explains why the Athenians were great thinkers and the Spartans were great fighters. Then again, it may be the most effective weapon we have next to mustard gas, so maybe the Greeks didn't actually hide inside that Trojan horse after all.  Maybe they shoved it full of feta cheese, and the Trojans were forced to open the gates because of the stench. 

Maybe they were actually Fetanians and Homer got it all wrong in the Iliad.  He was probably drinking coffee when he wrote it.