Wednesday, October 31, 2012

HURRICANE ROMBAMA



Ah.  Another day, another flooding rain squall.

Shark off the port ... er ... PORCH
We are recovering from Hurricane Sandy and its remnants.  I have to say that my favorite picture so far didn't make yesterday's blog, but I'll find a place for it today.  It's from Brigantine Beach, NJ, and it's the stuff nightmares are made of, which is why I am so fascinated with the image.  It gives new meaning to the old SNL bit about land sharks.

The worst damage I encountered was a huge tree across route 28 on my way to work.  There was one lane going around it, so it was all good.  From what I hear, though, other parts of my town are virtually shut off and shut down.  I had a hard time grasping that until I tried to drive home from the next town just a short while ago.

I mean, honestly, I was minding my own business (truly, I know this is a unique concept for me, but I try to embrace civility every once in a while), when the skies opened up… again.  Hard to believe after Hurricane Sandy that there might be one more drop of moisture in the clouds, but it was as if someone turned a faucet on.  No matter how fast the wipers went and how slowly my car went, I couldn't see a damn thing out the windshield.  I tried to get a glimpse of the right side of the road, a white line perhaps, and that was all fine and good until I noticed that the right side of the road was a roaring brook.  Suddenly this roiling water spilled into the road, and before any of us driving knew it, we needed kayaks to go much further.

I managed to crawl and swim home, both the car and me doing a decent imitation of the doggie-paddle.  By now the rain had let up, and I managed to get into the house without melting ala Wicked Witch of the West.  I started typing this blog entry, innocently intending to jaw about the car-canoe saga, when a friend just south of here IM'ed that she had to shut down her computer … because of a storm … yet again.

So I looked at the radar.  I know I shouldn't have, but those who know me also know that I have expanded cable for one main reason (sports are the second reason): The Weather Channel.  Yeah, Jim Cantore and I have a thing (he just doesn't know about it).  Holy … Mother … Of … God … what in the hell was all that RED and PURPLE and… was that a band of downpours or a huge thunderstorm?  I could only assume since my pal shut her computer completely off that we were in for a doozy of an electrical storm.

Luckily, it was a fast mover.  Perhaps it knew that the mere appearance of it on the radar sent panic waves akin to Orson Welles' 1938 broadcast of The War of the Worlds.  It was a storm that was all-surrounding and completely unwelcome after the pounding we already took (which was mild compared to our neighbors just south of New England).  I couldn't help thinking that this huge purple-red-orange-yellow-green radar splotch that brought such disdain and angst was just like the upcoming election, which is also rapidly becoming an entity non grata.  Like the recent bizarre weather, I just want the election to be over.  I'm at a point where I don't even give a shit who wins anymore; I just want them all to shut up, fall into a crevice, trip into an active volcano, or get sucked into outer space. 

If we could just have one day (one hour, perhaps) when the candidates are required to shut their humongous mouths for an entire twenty-four hours, no ads and no debates and no public commentary, we might find the strength keep paddling.

Until then, hand me an extra oar for my kayak.  If any of those politicians get close enough, I'll pretend they're Jersey land sharks and smack the holy hell out of them.  It may not impact the election, but after the last two days I've had pre/during/post Hurricane Sandy, it'll be worth every droplet.

PS.  Happy Halloween to Satan and the other guy running for president.  Doesn't matter who is who - at this point, they're sadly but completely interchangeable.