Monday, October 22, 2012

BUG INVASION



There's an invasion going on around here!  It's some kind of alien insect plot to take over the world.  The stink bugs and the ladybugs have banded together to cause mayhem, and they are doing a fine job of it.

The stink bugs have invaded my workplace.  I don't know if it's because I'm in a construction zone or because my room faces the woods, but these damn bugs cling to the window screens like monkeys to tree limbs.  Until recently, the windows didn't even have screens, so when the students see the stink bugs all over the windows, I usually just flick them away into oblivion … the bugs, not the children.  Occasionally a stink bug will wander into the classroom.  When this happens, even fearless smart-alecks jump onto desks and shriek like old women at a Josh Groban concert.  They know if anyone steps on, smooshes, or otherwise touches the bug, the smell will knock out nasal passages for miles.

The ladybugs have invaded my house.  I came home from work several days ago to find about a dozen of the charming little insects bouncing around from one surface to another, and flying around errantly as if this place were some kind of tropical playground. I believe that most of them have either been shooed outside or have simply keeled over from lack of attention.  There's nothing more depressing than stepping on the tiny shell of a dried up ladybug and hearing that teeny crunch underfoot.  One fell from the ceiling onto my hand while I was typing the other evening, and I damn-near jumped out of my own skin.  The poor little creature clung to my hand for dear life, and I, being the kindly sort, opened the front door and gently blew on it, encouraging it to fly.   To fly.  I said, FLY, you little shit!  Finally, I flicked the damn ladybug out into oblivion.  There's still one cavorting around, warming itself on the lampshade, hiding in the drapes, and basically being a little fucker by driving my nuts when it zooms by (which it did this second as I typed this sentence).

My friends are also bemoaning the insect invasion, particularly from the stink bugs.  It could be that we are seeing more bugs because of the incredibly mild winter we had last year.  It could be that we're just noticing them more for some reason.  Or it could be a cyclical thing, like the Great Gypsy Moth Invasion we had decades ago that caused perfectly sane people to wrap tin foil around tree trunks like strange, shimmering European Speedos. 

Maybe it's a precursor to a larger scale invasion, though.  Maybe, just maybe, these little buggers are taking over our homes so their larger, mutated brethren can take over the world!

It could happen.  I mean, it is an election year.  If that doesn't bring out the lowest and most voracious insects with their pinchers and stingers, not much else will.  Which leaves me one final question:  Out of the two major presidential candidates, which one is the ladybug and which one is the stink bug?  Don't let your brain go all buggy over it - After all, it's more of a rhetorical question.