Monday, October 15, 2012

MY KINDOM FOR A THUMB



I shouldn't have done it.  I know immediately after looking at it that I shouldn't have done it.  My horoscope for the day says to watch out for accidents.  Why, oh, why did I look at my horoscope?  I'm telling you, I shouldn't have done it.

But I digress.

Kid #1 decides to accompany me to kid #3's lacrosse event over the weekend.  Now, this is not the Portapotty Mania event; this is on the home field, complete with food, refreshments, and a multitude of flushable toilets. Kid #1 also decides to stay in his old room for the night.  I change the sheets on his brother's bed, which used to be his bed because his brother's bed is actually now a daybed that's covered with various things that need sorting and is hidden under a pile in the spare room.  After I do that, I start packing us up for the next day.  Depending on what the weather holds, we need hats, gloves, coats, layers, Arctic gear, and sunscreen.  By the time Kid #1 rolls in from the pub that evening, which used to be one of my hangouts so I guess it has become a multi-generational place, there is a fresh, warm bed for him, and we are mostly packed for our all-day lacrosse adventure.

I sleep like crap all night, actually dreaming that I can't sleep, which is both ironic and mortifying.  We finally get rolling for the morning, and it seems like the stars are aligned for a quick getaway.  All we need to do is pack the cooler with a huge batch of pasta salad for the lacrosse players and a case of ice cold beer for the lacrosse parents (which I'm probably not even supposed to say out loud, but since I'm technically typing, I can claim a strong defense).  Kid #1 has to make a quick stop at the bank to replace his debit card, which has busted a seam due to over-use.  While I wait for him to return, I decide to check Facebook.

And this is where all the damn trouble starts.  I see a post from a friend about her horoscope, and I think to myself, "Hey, Self, you haven't checked your horoscope in years … decades.  Check your horoscope… hahahaha."  So I find what appears to be a reliable horoscope website (which altogether sounds a bit like an oxymoron), and I read it:  Blah blah good times today blah blah friends and family blah blah grasping concepts that usually take you longer (so I won't have to yell at the refs as much) blah blah watch out for accidents…"

I say, whaaaaaat?  Accidents?  Watch … out … for … accidents.  The information creeps up on me like Ralphie Parker in A Christmas Story: "Be … sure … to … drink … your … Ovaltine … A stinkin' commercial?!"  And I think, "A stinkin' accident?!" Damnation.

Kid #1 returns, and we start to leave to head north.  He has moved his car into the driveway, and I back in behind him so we're ready to go.  When he jumps into my car, I almost hit the gas -- while I'm still in reverse.  Ooopsies, I almost wipe out his car.  Phew, that was a close … almost-accident.  Shit.

We see the highway is moving nicely, always a crapshoot around here when traveling north, and I start to merge into my lane.  All of a sudden a car shoots by me out of nowhere.  I never even see it as it screams into my blind spot, but I sense its presence and don't quite move fully into the road.  Wow, I almost wiped us out merging onto I-93.  Shit.  Again.

The rest of the journey is reasonably uneventful except for a few cars driving like they're on the autobahn and the sighting of one Statie tucked into a great hiding spot with his radar gun in full force.  We arrive so early that I decide to drive by Lake Massabesic for the view.  I explain to Kid #1 how there are three versions of Route 28 here, which is the same street we've lived on or right off of for almost all of his life.  I tell him how Route 28 leads to the mall, Bypass 28 leads to the lake, and Route 28A rolls into the city by way of Elliot Hospital.  His eyes glaze over.  This is information he truly doesn't want or need. 

(Hold that thought, folks.)

We pull into the parking lot at the university, head down to the back lot where the cookout after the two games will be, and get a spot just as a visiting team's bus pulls down into the restricted area.  I park on an inside spot instead of backing into a side spot, get my gear organized, and Kid #1 and I start trekking up the hill to the field.

Suddenly we hear whistling and someone yelling, "Whoa, whoa, stop!"  The giant luxury motor coach bus decides that continuing straight to the exit makes too much sense and starts backing up.  Right into one of our team parent's parked truck.  The bus is actually pushing it out of its space.  Damage is minimal, no one is hurt, and, as I continue heading to the field, I think, "Well, that must be the accident.  Aren't I a lucky bastard since it wasn't my vehicle for a change!"  Haha! Beaten fate yet again.


Not so fast, sister.  Not so fast.

Kid #1 and I walk around the field and enter at the far gate.  We see some of the parents there who are already talking about the motor coach incident seconds earlier.  Then I see something else.  Out of the corner of my eye I see movement.  The hair on the back of my neck stands up.  I get a stabbing pain behind my left eye because I suddenly feel like Phineas Gage.  Something awful is about to happen, and I can feel it in my skull as surely as if I just had a spike driven through my cerebral cortex. 

Trotting across the field is Kid #3 and he's wearing a little sock on his thumb.  Yes, that must be what it is, a doll sock on his thumb because it's pink and fluffy.  Oh, if only my biggest problem today is that my kid likes to wear doll socks on his fingers.  I may not be able to take him to family functions, but I might be able to get rid of this head-splitting sense of foreboding disaster.

It is not a sock.  On my son's thumb is a wad of gauze, a huge wad of gauze that is rapidly turning from white to pink to scarlet to brick red in the time it takes him to get from the mid line to the gate, which is about thirty feet.  Fucker.  Mother.  Motherfucker.

Kid #3 is a goalie.  Right now he is the goalie because two days earlier the other goalie was hit in the hand by an errant shot, broke his thumb and damaged some ligaments.  Kid #3 informs me that just ten minutes earlier, while Kid #1 and I were enjoying calm lake views, he, too, was hit in the hand by an errant shot.  Only his thumb didn't break.  It broke open.  Wide open.  Disgustingly gapingly open.  And he is shooting blood out of his finger.  Like Kid #1's debit card, Kid #3's digit has busted a seam.

For those who don't know me well or who haven't seen me in a very long time, my favorite Mom-ism when my kids were growing up was, "Walk it off."  Mom, I lost a tooth when I accidentally planted my face in Jacob's head at judo.  "Walk it off."  Mom, I took a huge chunk out of my chin and elbow in a roller blading accident.  "Walk it off."  Mom, I severed a limb.  "Walk it off."  My kids have grown to understand that "Walk it off" means a little bit of what it truly says and a lot more of "Don't fuck with Mama; she hasn't had her meds yet today."

While the coaches are, I'm certain, holding their collective breaths, and while the other parents are horrified at the sight of his finger, I smile a smile that is a good deal denial and a helluva lot more insanity and say, "Walk it off." 

Kid #3 makes it through two games, changing the dressing often, and meets me at the after-festivities.  His coach insists the thumb will need stitches since four hours after it split, it is still bleeding profusely.  I am thinking it's nothing a few butterfly bandages won't fix.  I mean, come on.  It's a digit, for cryin' out loud.  He didn't cut open an artery … or … Hey kid, didn't you just get that re-dressed?  You did?  And it's already bleeding through?  I purse my lips and shift my eyes.  I don't think any amount of medical supplies we pick up at CVS is going to solve this one.  Reluctantly we pile into the car, leaving the pasta salad and a few of the beers behind, and we take off in search of one of the three Route 28s - the A one.  The one that leads to Elliot Hospital.

When we walk in, the ER receptionist asks if he has ever been to their ER before.  He had been there just recently for stitches in his mouth, so I say, "Oh yeah.  He's a frequent flier here."  It is here that Kid #1 and I finally get to see the cut on Kid #3's thumb as we haven't seen it unwrapped yet.  As soon as the medic removes the gauze bandage, blood starts pouring out of the cut. 

Wait.  That's not entirely true.  Blood isn't pouring out.  It's spurting out.  It's going everywhere.  It pools into the medic's gloved hand, gets onto the poor guy's pants, drips on the floor, and starts to look like a mini Lake Massabesic right there in the ER, only it's red not blue, and there aren't any little sailboats floating in it.  It is one of the most impressive and persistent slices I have ever seen in my life.

I call Kid #2, the nurse, and tell her what's going on.  She says, "Get a picture of it!" to which I reply that it's too gross.  It's just too horridly, hideously, gruesomely, terrifyingly gross.  Had I known the ER was going to take three hours, though, I would've told her to drive the forty-five minutes up there and see it for herself.  Then it would've been a true family experience, a story to be handed down to my grandchildren, The Tale of the Bloody Thumb Stump.

Three hours and five stitches later, we are all relieved that there are no broken bones nor torn ligaments, and that possibly both goalies will be in complete fighting condition come spring.  I am also impressed that my limited knowledge of the multiple Route 28's has managed to get us to the hospital and back again without getting lost.  Plus the GPS.  The GPS helped, too. 

As I drop Kid #3 back at his dorm, it dawns on me that my horoscope came true, after all.  There was an accident; it just wasn't mine exactly, but it was mine to tend to, so it all worked out in the end.

P.S.  Note to self;  Don't ever read your horoscope ever again.  Never.  Ever.