Saturday, August 12, 2017

TYPING ANOTHER TIME

I finally start tackling (for real, not just on the surface) the bin of stuff I brought home from school in June.  Some of this stuff is cosmetic -- putting papers into file folders and marking them so I can file them when I go back to work.  Some of it is organizational -- going through different resources and figuring out which books I want to keep at school (all of them), and which ones I want to keep at home (that would be a giant NONE).

I have files of student work and scores, all of which need to be computed into statistics for my teacher evaluation.  Some of it was supposed to be done by July 1; some of it isn't due until late this coming fall.  Either way, I cannot put off the folders much longer; school is three weeks away.

I take out the files for my classes and my students.  First thing I realize is that I have my grade book from two years ago instead of last year.  I have no frigging idea how that could be since all of the two years' ago papers have been recycled, but here they all are, grades for kids I taught not last year but the year before.

Where are the grades for last year?  In my desk, which, to my dismay, I discover cannot be accessed for three more weeks ... right before school actually starts.

I madly go online.  Yes, our grades are supposed to be there, but we are changing servers and web companies.  Perhaps my grades from last year have already been dumped from the old site.

No worries.  Everything is still live, and I am able to print out the two grades I need to complete the paperwork. After entering the grades, I realize that the differential not only has to be calculated (quantified), it needs to be qualified, as well.  So, I start calculating out the totals, the differences, and the percentages, and I mark everything as I go along, then I get them all ready to type up.

However, I stop here.  I could type the information into the Google document that awaits my input.  I'm not sure, though, if I've really had enough or if I am disappointed at wasting an entire day to statistics.  I put everything back into a pile (much more organized and complete than it was hours before) and plop a small weight on top of it all: a sculpture one of my students gave me that says, "#1 TEACHER."  I guess I'm #1 because I don't tolerate #2 in my class.

No typing in statistics and results today, kids. It's still summer. Sun is still OUT ... I'll do the typing another time.