Friday, August 4, 2017

BANK, SCHOOL, AND A HAND BASKET


The bank is my new weekly social engagement.  Sometimes I'm there more than once a week; sometimes I go to a different branch so the tellers don't see me too often and wonder if I'm crazy (which I probably am, but don't tell anyone).  My debit card got hacked a while back, and, after cancelling it,  I have gone to cash almost exclusively as protection.  Except for monthly bills, the only other checks drawn on my account are to me and only me.

I am in the usual branch for my weekly banking business when I encounter a teller I've never seen before.  We make small talk, and, just before he counts out the cash to me, he says, "Sooooo, almost time for school to start!"

I freeze.

How does he know?  Does he know my employer?  Is he looking at my account personal information?  Hmmmmm.  The deposits are from a town account, not from a school account.  I am still flustered and say to him, "Whaaaaaat?"

"School," he says again.  "it's going to start soon."  He smiles.  Oh. My. God.  He says school and smiles all in one sweeping motion.

"Uhhhhhh," I reply dumbly.  "Uhhhhhhhh ..."  My mouth is open almost as wide as my eyes.  Finally, I explain that I am a middle school teacher, and that I still have some summer left.  "Please," I implore the teller, "don't say that word.  You know.  School."

I've already had one back-to-school nightmare (last week), and I'm sure I'll have a few more before September.  I love my job, but mental health time is important, really important, vitally important to educators.  Having extended time off is the only thing that keeps many of us from putting our heads through cinder block walls.  I have a magnet that I keep on my side of the desk at school, and it has written on it: "Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?"

The cash from my check slides over to me along with my license and a white envelope.  "Enjoy the rest of your summer," the teller says to me.  He gets it; he so gets it.  Thank goodness for that because if I know me, I'll be back for more cash before the weekend. I don't want to be afraid someone in the bank might use that word; I'm going to need cash to finish up this break before September really does roll around.