Friday, August 18, 2017

BLIGHT FIGHT

A blight is affecting the trees in my small neighborhood.  Two giant trees out front have already come down.  I notice that the maple tree hanging over the driveway from next door is pissing something all over my car every single day.  (No, it's not caterpillars this time.)  Even worse, leaves are coming down from the neighborhood trees as fast as if it were autumn already.

I decide to sweep my patio since it looks more like early October out there.  I'm lazy, so I sweep the giant pile of leaves right off the back edge and into the backyard.  It's okay; no one tends to the backyard, anyway.  I sweep and sweep and sweep, and still more errant leaves fall into my path.

Then, I tackle the driveway and front path.  For this, I collect all the leaves into my big recycle bin and dump them all across the street in the woods.  I could have done this with my patio leaves, but I am less and less motivated here to do anything that resembles improvements.

I get everything done, go to sit outside, and there are already leaves in my way.  The leaves are brownish and seem almost burnt in places.  I'm not a tree doctor, so I've no idea what's going on here, hence why I believe it is blight.  As if the leaves aren't bad enough, I have one black hornet that keeps dive-bombing me.

My outside experience turns out to be surprisingly brief.  I really don't give the day another thought until I pass through the den on my way to the kitchen.  There, in the middle of the den on the hardwood floor, is one of those goddamned leaves from outside.  One of us, either my kiddo or me, brought the leaf in on a shoe and accidentally planted it right in the center of both the room and my line of vision.

Apparently, now the blight is picking on me.  My roots are pretty strong, but it might be time to start thinking about uprooting.  Seriously.  This blight fight is starting to take its toll on me and my car, and I'm not sure just how many more times I can bang my head against the same tree without the tree eventually winning ... or being sawed in half by the town because it's infected.  I just want the trees to hold off dropping their leaves for another few weeks -- not an unreasonable request mid-August.