Monday, August 28, 2017

SUITCASE HANDLE - I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING ... SORT OF

Apparently, I don't travel much.  I mean, I do travel, but I'm relatively "no frills" about it.  Still. I know how to use and how to pack a suitcase.  Don't I?

I know that my suitcase has a zipper to open and close it.  It also has a zipper to expand the area available for packing.  There is a zippered large pocket inside the suitcase, and two outer pockets, one small and one medium, on the outside.  I know that I should pack my liquids and my electronics in the outer pockets for easy access at security.  And, hey, I even know how to use the handle and the rolling wheels!

How is it that after all these years, I am just now discovering the handle on the bottom that I can use to lift the suitcase overhead into a compartment or on to its back to make it flat and easy to pack and unpack?  How have I NOT known about this little device?

When I do discover it, I try to recall, "Have I used this before?  Have I picked up my suitcase using this handle underneath, or have I simply grabbed the bottom of the suitcase and flung it above my head like an ape?"  Honestly -- I have no flaming idea.

The thing is, I really and truly do travel quite a bit.  Most of it is driving places to have my packable adventures, but still.  I have to haul the suitcase around into the trunk or into the hotel and onto the bed.  Seriously.  I feel like a failure as a traveler that I had no conscious knowledge about this great addition to my suitcase.

Oh, well.  This last trip of mine, three days to New York's North Country, I finally utilize this wonderful invention.  Please don't tell me that all suitcases have this, and don't tell me that you've watched me haul my suitcase around like The Hulk.  I'll still use the excuse that I'm "no frills," even if that isn't supposed to mean ignoring the obvious structure of the suitcase.  I'm just going to pretend that I know what I'm doing.