Monday, August 7, 2017

PURGING THE SPEAKERS

The purging of household items continues.

Today I split my time between upstairs and the basement.  I don't mean to do this; I mean to keep my mind on one task at a time, but a mirror needs to be put up, and I need to find the tools, and I know that the tool area in the cellar is somewhat disorganized. 

Turns out that the situation is not as bad as I first fear.  Much of the tool area is separated, but not completely organized, into bins.  I spend a couple of hours dusting and cleaning off the bin covers, and then I reorganize everything and mark each bin with labels made out of red duct tape. 

As I put things where they belong (screwdrivers and Allen wrenches go together into a bin; nails and screws go into bags and into a bin, etc.), I pull crap out that doesn't need to be saved any longer.  These things get put aside not so much because I truly don't need them.  These things get put aside because nobody needs them anymore.

No, really.  I'm serious.

As I put the tool bins into their new home in the first floor linen closet, I start bagging up things to toss into the trash -- things that don't even exist in the modern world anymore.  I toss out an extra bag of hardware for a swing set that hasn't existed in my life for twenty years.  I throw away a combination lock that has long since lost its magical combination. 

When I get to the electronic equipment, I find stretch-cords for telephones to connect the receiver to the base unit.  Every phone in my house is cordless, and everyone I know has gone cordless, as well.  Is there anyone out there who still uses corded phones?  Those cords have to go.  It's time.  Nobody needs corded phones anymore.

Then, I come across speaker wire.  Lots of it.  Several very long lines of speaker wire.  I check my old stereo.  Even in its ancient condition, it does not require speaker wire.  Most people today have the portable or table top speakers and stream their music, anyway.  I haven't needed speaker wire since about 2000, so I doubt I'll need to keep it around, but if you need it, you're welcome to pick through my trash on Tuesday.

Seven more bags of clothing and bed linens will make it to bins this week, too.  It's another banner weekend of purging.  Now, if I can just put things back together enough to crawl into my bed, I'd be totally down with that idea.